washington heights


Sep 12 2012

Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew, Manhattan

Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew is the oldest Lutheran congregation in North America. The congregation belongs to the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Since 2006, the congregation has been located at the Cornerstone Center, at 178 Bennett Avenue. The congregation has been known by different names, only acquiring the name St. Matthew in 1822 and using it exclusively in 1838. The congregation was founded 1643 by Dutch Lutherans in New Amsterdam but the church was not chartered until December 6, 1664.

Jul 12 2011

Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan

Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by Steven E. Lawson

The Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation was founded in 1906, and held its services at 220 West 130th Street in a building which later became the Williams Institutional C.M.E. Church. In 1922, the congregation laid the cornerstone for a new synagogue and community house at 605 West 161st Street, near Fort Washington Avenue. Completed at a cost of $500,000 in 1925, the buildings were designed by George and Edward Blum and Ludwig Hanauer, and featured terra cotta trim and a deep latticework arch over the entrance.


May 25 2011

Holyrood Episcopal Church, Manhattan

Contact info:
715 West 179th Street Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10033

May 25 2011

Primera Iglesia Bautista Hispana Church, Manhattan

Contact info:
96 Wadsworth Avenue,
New York, NY 10033-7044

Jul 12 2011

St. Elizabeth's Church, Manhattan

St. Elizabeth's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Church of St. Elizabeth is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at West 187th Street at Wadsworth Avenue, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1869, originally located on 187th Street at Broadway from 1869 to 1929.

The parish was founded in 1869 what was then known as Fort Washington by the Rev. Cornelius O’Callaghan.


Oct 30 2011

St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The community was officially incorporated by the State of New York on June 25, 1931 under the name "Washington Heights Hellenic Orthodox Church, Inc.,". The faitfhul congregated at first in a small hall above a theater located on St., Nicholas Avenue at 185th Street. Later, they met in a room above a garage on 183rd Street east of Broadway. Holy Rood Episcopalian Church on 179th Street and Ft. Washington Avenue, made available an auditorium for use of our parish.