upper west side

Aug 26 2011

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church is a Greek Orthodox church on Manhattan's Upper West Side at West End Avenue and West 91st Street. The Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation (Evangelismos) is a parish of the Direct Archdiocesan District of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. The church was built by Heins & LaFarge in (1893–94) as the Fourth Presbyterian Church. The church was sold to a Greek parish in 1952.

Apr 17 2011

Central Baptist Church of New York

Central Baptist Church of New York. Image 1

Central Baptist Church recently celebrated its 166th anniversary and remains a vital part of its community. Our roots were originally on Laight Street in Lower Manhattan in 1842. The Laight Street and Bloomingdale Baptist Churches combined to become the Central Baptist Church located in Times Square in 1870. In 1916, after nearly 25 pastors in 4 to 6 different buildings, Central‘s doors opened at its current location on the Upper West Side at 92nd Street and Amsterdam Avenue.

Oct 02 2011

Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew, Manhattan

Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Church of Saint Paul and Saint Andrew is a historic United Methodist church located in the Upper West Side of New York City, New York on West 86th Street. The Church is known for being socially moderate, and being accepting of people of all races, ages, and sexual orientations. The Church hosts a number of performing arts groups; including the Empire City Men's Chorus, The Prospect Theater Company, and David Parker & The Bang Group.

May 16 2011

Congregation Shearith Israel, Manhattan

Congregation Shearith Israel, Manhattan. Image 1

Congregation Shearith Israel, often called The Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, is the oldest Jewish congregation in the United States. It was established in 1654. The Orthodox synagogue is located on Central Park West at 70th Street in the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Apr 17 2011

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Manhattan

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Manhattan. Image 1

Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is a Lutheran church located at 3 West 65th Street at the corner of Central Park West in the Upper West Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

Apr 17 2011

New York Buddhist Church in Manhattan

New York Buddhist Church in Manhattan. Image 1

The New York Buddhist Church (NYBC) is a temple of Jodoshinshu True Pure Land School Buddhism, whose head temple is Nishi-Hongwanji Temple in Kyoto, Japan. Shinran Shonin (1173-1262) is the founder of this school of Buddhism.

May 16 2011

Ramath Orah, Manhattan

Ramath Orah, Manhattan. Image 1

Congregation Ramath Orah is an Orthodox synagogue located in Manhattan's Upper West Side, close to Columbia University. It occupies a neo-Georgian building originally built in 1921 for the West Side Unitarian Church. The congregation was founded in 1942 by Rabbi Dr. Robert Serebrenik, his wife Mrs. Julia Serebrenik (née Herzog), and sixty-one other Jewish refugees form Luxembourg.

Sep 03 2011

The Church of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan

The Church of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan. Image 1

The origins of Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church date back to October 23, 1898, when a new parish was established on the West Side between 77th street and 86th from Central Park to the Hudson River. The area known today as the Upper West Side was fairly well-developed by 1900, and it would take several years to purchase property for a church building, rectory and school. Father Michael J. Considine supervised the construction of the church complex,

Oct 02 2011

West-Park Presbyterian Church, Manhattan

West-Park Presbyterian Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

West-Park Presbyterian Church is a Romanesque Revival Presbyterian church located on the corner of Amsterdam Avenue at 86th Street on Manhattan's Upper West Side, New York City, consisting of a main sanctuary and chapel. The congregation was founded in 1852 as the 84th Street Presbyterian Church, building its first chapel of timber in 1854 on 84th Street and West End Avenue, to designs by one of the city’s most prominent architects, Prague-born Leopold Eidlitz. The church changed its name to Park Presbyterian Church in 1887.