staten island


May 28 2011

Brighton Heights Reformed Church in St. George, Staten Island

Brighton Heights Reformed Church in St. George, Staten Island. Image 1

The congregation known today as the Brighton Heights Reformed Church can trace its roots to 1817, when a series of weekly religious revival services were held in a large hall at the Fever Hospital in Quarantine, a walled-in thirty-acre plot on which immigrants debarked for physical examinations. Many of the immigrants were afflicted with what was called "ship's fever," a condition brought on after a long journey in which they were often crammed into unventilated and unsanitary holds without fresh food or water for periods of up to eight weeks.


Jun 11 2011

Buddhist Vihara in Port Richmond, Staten Island

Buddhist Vihara in Port Richmond, Staten Island. Image 1

The need for a Buddhist Vihara in Staten Island for the benefit of the large number of Sri Lankan and other Buddhist residents of the island and its vicinity was felt several years ago. However, until recently, the religious and spiritual needs of the Sri Lankan and other Buddhists were fulfilled by the New York Buddhist Vihara in Queens, New York.


Jun 05 2011

Calvary Presbyterian Church in West New Brighton, Staten Island

Calvary Presbyterian Church, Staten Island. Image 1

Calvary Presbyterian Church was organized on November 17, 1872, by thirty-five persons, most of whom had previously been members of the Dutch Reformed Church of Port Richmond. The society occupied a chapel that had been erected at the corner of Castleton and Bement Avenues during the summer of 1872, for use by a Sunday-school that had been organized in May of that year. In September 1874, the plain wooden chapel was doubled in size so that it could accomodate about 500 persons. On the evening of April 17, 1892, arsonists set fires in the area, and the chapel burned to the ground.


May 08 2011

Christ Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

Christ Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

Christ Church New Brighton (Episcopal) is a historic Episcopal church complex at 76 Franklin Avenue in New Brighton, Staten Island, New York. The complex consists of a Late Victorian Gothic church (1904) and parish hall, connected to the church by an enclosed cloister, and a Tudor-style rectory (built 1879 and remodeled in 1909). It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.


Feb 07 2012

Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Staten Island

Holy Trinity Church is a greek orthodox christian church located at the intersection of Richmond ave. and Victory blvd. in Bulls Head, Staten Island.

Jun 12 2011

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Grotto in Rosebank, Staten Island

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Grotto in Rosebank, Staten Island. Image 1

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Grotto is a national historic district located at 36 Amity Street in Rosebank, Staten Island, New York. It is a historic Roman Catholic grotto designed and constructed by the local Italian American community. Work on the distinctive concrete and stone folk art structure was begun in 1937 and continues to the present. The property includes the grotto, a frame meeting hall dated to about 1920, and contributing landscape features and ancillary structures and objects.


May 28 2011

Reformed Church in Port Richmond, Staten Island

Reformed Church in Port Richmond, Staten Island. Image 1

Reformed Church on Staten Island is a historic Dutch Reformed church and cemetery at 54 Port Richmond Avenue in Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York. It was built in 1844 in the Greek Revival style. It is a brick building set on a fieldstone foundation. The front facade features a portico with twin sets of flanking brick pilasters and a central pair of fluted Doric order columns.


Jul 29 2011

Sacred Heart Church in West New Brighton, Staten Island

Contact address

981 Castleton Avenue,
Staten Island, NY 10310-1881


Jun 12 2011

Shree Ram Mandir in Sunnyside, Staten Island

Shree Ram Mandir in Sunnyside, Staten Island. Image 1

The Hindu families residing in Staten Island organized together under the banner of Staten Island Hindu Temple for the purpose of building a temple in the Island for the first time in 1997. The temple was registered by the State of New York as of December 22, 1997 as a not-for-profit organization to foster Hindu religious traditions and ideals in the community. The bylaws of the temple were adopted at a meeting of the Board of Directors held on January 28, 1998. Devotees started assembling on Friday evening every week for prayer in a rented hall.


May 31 2011

St. Andrew's Church in Richmondtown, Staten Island

St. Andrew's Church in Richmondtown, Staten Island. Image 1

The Church of St. Andrew is an historic Episcopal church in Richmondtown, located at Arthur Kill and Old Mill Roads in Staten Island, New York. The congregation was founded in 1708. The first church was built in c.1712 or 1713 but was heavily damaged by 1867 and 1872. The church was rebuilt about 1872 in a Gothic style of fieldstone with stop-ended chamfered red brick trim. The attached Burgh Hall was erected in 1924 in a matching style.