richmond hill


Jun 05 2011

Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens

Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens. Image 1

The Church of the Resurrection is the oldest church in Richmond Hill. Sometime in 1866 or 1867, the Rev. George Cook, assistant minister at Grace Church, began to hold services in the old Long Island Railroad station between Hillside Avenue and Jamaica Avenue. The Richmond Hill mission, as it came to be known, took root and a chapel was built over a carpenter’s shop in the business block. The Richmond Hill chapel remained a mission until 1874 when the Reverend Joshua Kimber moved to Richmond Hill and took charge.