reform judaism


Dec 04 2011

Angel Orensanz Center, Manhattan

Angel Orensanz Center, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Angel Orensanz Center (originally, Anshe Chesed Synagogue; also formerly known as the Norfolk Street Congregation and Anshe Slonim Synagogue) is located at 172 Norfolk Street (between Stanton Street and East Houston Street) on the Lower East Side of New York City, New York. It is housed in a Gothic Revival synagogue, built in 1849 for Congregation Ansche Chesed (People of Kindness).

Apr 10 2011

Central Synagogue

Central Sinagogue, Manhattan. Image 1

The Central Synagogue (Congregation Ahavath Chesed) is located at 652 Lexington Avenue on the corner of 55th Street, Manhattan, New York City, New York. Built in 1872 in the Moorish Revival style as a copy of Budapest's Dohány Street Synagogue, it pays homage to the Jewish existence in Moorish Spain. It has been in continuous use by a congregation longer than any other in the city.


Jul 12 2011

Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan

Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by Steven E. Lawson

The Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation was founded in 1906, and held its services at 220 West 130th Street in a building which later became the Williams Institutional C.M.E. Church. In 1922, the congregation laid the cornerstone for a new synagogue and community house at 605 West 161st Street, near Fort Washington Avenue. Completed at a cost of $500,000 in 1925, the buildings were designed by George and Edward Blum and Ludwig Hanauer, and featured terra cotta trim and a deep latticework arch over the entrance.