queens


Jun 18 2011

St. Markella Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens

St. Markella Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens. Image 1

The Cathedral of St. Markella was established by the ever-memorable Metropolitan Petros of Astoria in 1954, to serve the pious Orthodox Christians in the area who remained loyal to the Patristic "Old" Calendar. Since that time, it has become the Cathedral parish of the Holy Metropolis of the G.O.C. of America, whose current bishop is His Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos.


Jun 04 2011

St. Mary & St. Antonios Coptic Orthodox Church, Queens

St Mary and St. Antonios Coptic Orthodox Church is located in Ridgewood, Queens and is the oldest Coptic Orthodox parish in Queens. Being one of the oldest Coptic Orthodox churches in North America, started out in March 1972, and is notably the first Coptic Orthodox parish that was founded in New York as well as the third Coptic parish in the US.

Jan 27 2012

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church in Flushing, Queens

St. Nicholas Church is a greek orthodox christian church in Flushing, New York. The parish was founded in 1955, the building was officially opened on March 28, 1971, but finally consecrated on June 4, 1989.

Jun 05 2011

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, Queens

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, Queens. Image 1

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church was founded in 1916 as a parish of the North American Missionary Archdiocese of the Russian Orthodox Chuch. After the Russian revolution of 1917, the parish became part of the Metropolia, renamed the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) in 1970 after receving autocephaly (independence) from the Moscow Patriarchate.


Dec 03 2011

St. Virgilius Church in Broad Channel, Queens

St. Virgilius Roman Catholic Church in Broad Channel, Queens is a simple wooden frame building, located on Noel road. This is one of two churches in Broad Channel.

Sep 03 2011

The Most Precious Blood Church, Queens

The Most Precious Blood Church, Queens. Image 1

The parish was formed in 1922. Masses are offered in Brazilian Portuguese, Croatian, Italian, Spanish and Tagalog to compliment the six English Masses, thus reflecting the diverse ethnic makeup of Astoria. They also sponsor a Purgatorial Society and hold First Friday devotions as well as regular adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. There is a parish school for children in grades kindergarten through eight.


Jul 19 2011

The Reformed Church of Newtown, Queens

The Reformed Church of Newtown, Queens. Image 1

The Reformed Church of Newtown was founded in 1731 by Dutch-speaking farmers and tradesmen. New York had originally been "New Amsterdam," a Dutch Colony, and although the early members of Newtown were from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, they held their services in the Dutch language still common in the community then called "Newtown."


Jun 05 2011

Trinity Chapel, Queens

Trinity Chapel, Queens. Image 1

Trinity Chapel, also known as St. John's Church and Beth-El Temple Church of God in Christ, is a historic Episcopal church at 1874 Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway, Queens, New York. It was built in 1858 to the design of noted architect Richard Upjohn (1802-1878). It is a frame Gothic Revival style chapel on a brick foundation and three bays wide by five bays long. It has a steeply pitched roof and sided in wood shingles. Atop the roof is a wooden belfry with steeply pitched pyramidal roof. It was founded as Trinity Chapel as a mission of Trinity Church in Hewlett, New York.


Jun 18 2011

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens. Image 1

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens. Image 2

Trinity Lutheran Church is a historic Lutheran church at 31-18 37th Street in Astoria, Queens, New York. It was designed by John William Cresswell Corbusier and overseen by noted architect George W. Conable (1866-1933). It was built in 1926 and is a one story Collegiate Gothic style building.