presbyterian


Nov 03 2014

Ascension Church, Queens

Contact info:
Russell Pl
Queens, NY 11375

Jun 05 2011

Calvary Presbyterian Church in West New Brighton, Staten Island

Calvary Presbyterian Church, Staten Island. Image 1

Calvary Presbyterian Church was organized on November 17, 1872, by thirty-five persons, most of whom had previously been members of the Dutch Reformed Church of Port Richmond. The society occupied a chapel that had been erected at the corner of Castleton and Bement Avenues during the summer of 1872, for use by a Sunday-school that had been organized in May of that year. In September 1874, the plain wooden chapel was doubled in size so that it could accomodate about 500 persons. On the evening of April 17, 1892, arsonists set fires in the area, and the chapel burned to the ground.


Dec 03 2011

Christ Presbyterian Church by the Sea in Broad Channel, Queens

Christ Presbyterian Church By The Sea is a simple wooden frame church located on Noel Road at the East side of Broad Channel, Queens.

Jun 03 2011

First Presbyterian Church of Far Rockaway, Queens

First Presbyterian Church of Far Rockaway, Queens. Image 1

The First Presbyterian Church of Far Rockaway, formerly known as the Russell Sage Memorial Church, is a historic Presbyterian church located in the Far Rockaway neighborhood of Queens, New York. It was designed by noted architect Ralph Adams Cram (1863-1942) as a memorial to Russell Sage (1816-1906). It features a large landscape stained glass window designed by Tiffany Studio.


Aug 20 2011

Hoboken Gospel Chapel in Hoboken, NJ

Contact info:
641 Bloomfield St.,
Hoboken, NJ, 07030‎

Jun 01 2011

Monastery of St. Michael the Archangel, Union City, NJ

Monastery of St. Michael the Archangel, Union City, NJ. Image 1

The Monastery and Church of Saint Michael the Archangel is a state and national historic place in Union City, New Jersey. Formally opened in 1869 and completed in 1875, the grounds of the complex are bounded West Street and Summit Avenue between 18th and 21st Streets. The small street leading to its front entrance from the east is called Monastery Place. At one time the largest Roman Catholic church in Hudson County, it has since became home to a Presbyterian congregation while part of the grounds are used for housing and education.


Jul 12 2011

Mount Washington Presbyterian Church, Manhattan

Mount Washington Presbyterian Church was established in 1844 by Samuel Thomson (1784-1850), a resident of Inwood, in the northern area of Manhattan. It was named for the site of Fort Washington which is presently located in Bennett Park on Fort Washington Avenue between 183rd and 185th Streets.


May 26 2011

Riverdale Presbyterian Church Complex, The Bronx

Riverdale Presbyterian Church Complex, The Bronx. Image 1

Riverdale Presbyterian Church Complex, also known as Duff House & Duff Cottage (Gardener's Cottage), is a historic Presbyterian church at 4761-4765 Henry Hudson Parkway in The Bronx, New York, New York. It was designed in 1863 by noted architect James Renwick, Jr. (1818-1895). It is a fieldstone building in the Late Gothic Revival style. It was substantially enlarged in 1936. The complex also includes the Duff House, also designed by Renwick, and a Stick Style cottage built in 1875 known as Duff Cottage. The church established the Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil in 1869.


May 28 2011

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church was founded in 1938 by the Rev. Edler Garnet Hawkins. During the 1940s and 1950s, the congregation grew to more than a thousand members, which included mostly African-Americans and Puerto Ricans. In 1964, Rev. Hawkins was elected the first African-American moderator of the United Presbyterian Church, and served St. Augustine until his death in 1977. The brick neo-Gothic building was constructed in 1906 for the Woodstock Presbyterian Church; that congregation merged into the Home Street Presbyterian Church in 1938.


Apr 16 2011

Trinity Presbyterian Church in Manhattan

Trinity Presbyterian Church in Manhattan: via http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com

Trinity Presbyterian Church, located in the historic Clinton or Hell's Kitchen section of New York City, started as a Sunday School mission over a stable on Tenth Avenue in 1877. Today the 100-member congregation -- although limited by space, membership size and funds -- carries on a diverse ministry that continues to focus on youth and children along with the homeless, older persons, and the theater/arts community.