outside new york


Jun 15 2014

Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY

Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY. Photo 1

Holy Trinity Monastery is a male monastery of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR), located near Jordanville, New York. Founded in 1930 by two Russian immigrants, it eventually became a main spiritual center of Russian Orthodoxy in the West. The monastery is well known for its publishing work and for the attached Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary.
The monastery was founded in 1930 by Father Panteleimon (Nizhnik) and two his friends as they bought the Starkweather farm near Jordanville for a $25 down payment. In addition to performing the daily services, the brotherhood worked the land and began dairy production.

Dec 09 2012

Kadampa Meditation Center in Glen Spey, NY


Kadampa Meditation Center (Glen Spey, NY) with Kelly

Kadampa Meditation Center New York is the site of the resplendent US Kadampa World Peace Temple. It is located amid 82 acres of lush woodland in the colorful Upper Delaware River Valley. Secluded walking trails, meditation spots, a creek-fed pond, and abundant wildlife surround the Temple, inviting visitors to connect with pure, natural surroundings. Kadampa Meditation Center is an international spiritual community open year-round for tours and visits. it's rich program of Modern Buddhism includes workshops, classes, special events, prayer services, and group and individual retreats.

Dec 08 2012

Mahayana Retreat Temple in Leeds, NY

Mahayana Temple (Chinese: 大乘寺;; pinyin: Da Cheng Si) is a Chinese Buddhist temple located within a forest in South Cairo, N.Y.. It is the retreat of the Eastern States Buddhist Temple of America, Inc. The retreat temple contain the Grand Buddha Hall, the Kuan Yin Hall, the 500 Arhat Hall, a six storied pagoda, and Earth Store Bodhisattva Hall as well as a three-unit temple dedicated to the spirits of the land.

May 16 2011

Masjid Daru-Ul-Islah in Teaneck, NJ

Contact info:
320 Fabry Terrace,
Teaneck, NJ 07666

Jun 02 2011

Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, NY

Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, NY. Image 1

The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, also known as Dutch Reformed Church (Sleepy Hollow), is a 17th century church located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, United States. The church and its three acre (12 ha) churchyard feature prominently in Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". The churchyard is often confused with the contiguous but separate Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. It is the oldest extant church and the fifteenth oldest extant building in the state of New York.


Jul 03 2011

Russian Orthodox Church of Three Saints in Garfield, NJ

Russian Orthodox Church of Three Saints in Garfield, NJ. Image 1

The church was founded in 1898 by Russian immigrants, mostly from the region of the Carpathian Mountains in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire. The cornerstone of the Three Saints Church was laid on July 3, 1901. The original Three Saints Church edifice was a wooden building adorned with traditional mural icons and a bell imported from Russia.


May 02 2011

Russian Orthodox Novo-Diveevo Convent in Nanuet, Clarkstown, NY

Russian Orthodox Novo-Diveevo Convent in Nanuet, Clarkstown, NY. Image 1

Stavropegial Convent of the Dormition; "Novo-Diveevo" is located approximately 24 miles north of New York City. The founder of the convent was Archbishop Andrei of Rockland, then Protopresbyter Adrian Rimarenko (starets Nektarii of Optina died under his epitrachelion). In 1949, with the arrival in America of a multitude of refugees, ROCOR’s First Hierarch Metropolitan Anastasy entrusted Fr. Adrian to build a spiritual center. A former Roman Catholic monastery was purchased and a Russian convent was founded.


Jan 27 2012

St. George Russian Orthodox Church in Bayside, NY

St. George Church is a tiny russian orthodox christian church located in Bayside, New York.

Aug 21 2011

St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ

St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ. Image 1

St. Henry's Church is a Roman Catholic church on Avenue C between 28th.and 29th. Street in Bayonne, New Jersey. The parish was founded in 1889 by 50 German immigrant families from Bavaria and was named after Emperor Henry II of the Holy Roman Empire. It is one of the first Catholic parishes in Bayonne and is part of the Archdiocese of Newark. The first church building, a wooden structure, was built in 1890 on the northeast corner of Avenue D (now Broadway) and 26th Street.


May 21 2011

St. John the Theologian Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Tenafly, NJ

St. John the Theologian Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Tenafly, NJ. Image 1: copyright by Unknown

The origin of The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Saint John the Theologian traces back to 1952, when a group of Greek Orthodox Christians were granted a charter by the Archdiocese, to establish a church in Fairview, NJ. The Ascension Church of Fairview was the only church in Bergen County at the time. According to parish history, Ascension community's membership began to grow rapidly soon after its founding. Members living in northeastern Bergen County considered establishing a new, more conveniently located church in the mid 1950's.