orthodox


May 21 2011

St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Saint Barbara was founded in 1926 by struggling immigrants, this magnificent structure once a synagogue, has provided and continues to provide the greatest comfort of our beloved Martyr Saint Barbara. As the patron Saint of firefighters and the artillery, Saint Barbara was a haven to those who fought during World War II. The Church at that time was a thriving community with newly arriving families from Greece finding religious solace at her door.


Jun 18 2011

St. Catherine & St. George Greek Orthodox Church, Queens

St. Catherine & St. George Greek Orthodox Church, Queens. Image 1

St. Catherine & St. George Church is a greek orthodox church, located at 22-30 33rd Street in Astoria, Queens. This largest greek orthodox church in the area is the completely modern building with a huge domed roof.


Apr 21 2012

St. Cyril's of Turau Orhtodox Cathedral, Brooklyn

St. Cyril&s of Turau Orhtodox Cathedral, Brooklyn. Photo 1
St Cyril's of Turau Orhtodox Cathedral is a christian orthodox church of Belarussian Orthodox Church, located on Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn. The church building is a former protestant church. This empty church was purchased by orthodox community of belarusian immigrants after the WWII. The first divine service was held on November 25 1957.

May 29 2011

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens. Image 1

St. Demetrios Cathedral is located on the intersection of 31st street and 30th Drive in Astoria Queens. Erected in 1927, the church serves the Hellenic-American population of the neighborhood. The church is actually one of Astoria's two largest Greek Orthodox churches, the other being St. Irene of Chrysovalantou (located on 23rd Avenue).


May 16 2011

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ

Contact info:
524 Summit Avenue,
Jersey City, NJ 07306-2913

Apr 21 2012

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church at 359 West 24th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, is the second church on this site. The first St. Eleftherios Church was orginally the Twenty-fourth Street Methodist Episcopal Church, which was built in 1860, and taken over by the St. Eleftherios congregation in 1913. That church burnt down in 1973,

Oct 02 2011

St. George and St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ

St. George and St. Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ. Photo 1

St George & St Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church is the second Coptic Orthodox church that was established in Jersey City, New Jersey. Coptic Orthodox Christians, who adhere to an ancient Christian faith rooted in Egypt in the first century, have established a stronghold throughout New Jersey over the last several decades. The first Coptic Orthodox Church in the United States was St. Mark’s in Jersey City, which was founded in 1970 by Egyptian immigrants,


Apr 22 2011

St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Brooklyn

St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

Saint George, Coptic Orthodox Church of Brooklyn opened its doors for the flock of Christ on December 31, 1972. The service in St. George’s Church began immediately and was not rendered for the Brooklyn congregation alone, but also outreached to families in encompassing areas such as Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Long Island and some areas in New Jersey, and that is due to the lack of churches in those areas at that time.


Jan 27 2012

St. George Russian Orthodox Church in Bayside, NY

St. George Church is a tiny russian orthodox christian church located in Bayside, New York.

Jul 03 2011

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 2

Greek Orthodox Church of St. John the Baptist at 143 East 17th Street in Manhattan, New York City. Built in 1885, designed by Schwartzmann & Buchman, with a baroque facade that was altered in 1957 by Kyriacos A. Kalfas.

Source: "From Abyssinian to Zion" (2004)