orthodox judaism


May 16 2011

Congregation Shearith Israel, Manhattan

Congregation Shearith Israel, Manhattan. Image 1

Congregation Shearith Israel, often called The Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, is the oldest Jewish congregation in the United States. It was established in 1654. The Orthodox synagogue is located on Central Park West at 70th Street in the Upper West Side of Manhattan.


Jun 05 2011

Congregation Tifereth Israel, Queens

Congregation Tifereth Israel, Queens. Image 1

Congregation Tifereth Israel ("Splendor of Israel") is an Orthodox synagogue located in the Corona section of Queens, New York. It was founded by Ashkenazi Jews who had moved to Queens from Manhattan's Lower East Side. Estée Lauder and her parents were early members.
The congregation constructed its synagogue building in 1911, a wooden Gothic and Moorish revival structure designed by Crescent L. Varrone, and modeled after the narrow tenement synagogues built on Manhattan's Lower East Side.


May 08 2011

Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Manhattan

Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1: Copyright by Unknown

The Fifth Avenue Synagogue (קהלת עטרת צבי) is an Orthodox Jewish synagogue located at 5 East 62nd Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The synagogue was founded in 1958, by former members of Congregation Zichron Ephraim who opposed that congregation's decision to seat men and women together during services. Henry Hirsch, Myrtle Hirsch, Leib Merkin and Hermann Merkin were among the congregation's founders. Author Herman Wouk was an early member of the Fifth Avenue Synagogue.


Jun 17 2011

Magen David Synagogue, Brooklyn

Magen David Synagogue is an Orthodox Sephardi synagogue located in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York. Erected in 1921, the synagogue was designed by architect Maurice Courland in Neo-Romanesque style. The synagogue was at its height of popularity during the 1940s, 1950s, and early 1960s. The synagogue is still in continual use for daily and Shabbat prayers.


Sep 12 2012

Meseritz Sinagogue, Manhattan

Meseritz Sinagogue, Manhattan. Photo 1

Meseritz Shul, AKA Edath Lei'Isroel Ansche Meseritz, is a 1910 Orthodox synagogue on New York city's Lower East Side. It was built by a congregation established in 1888 consisting of immigrants from Międzyrzec Podlaski (Mesritch, Poland). The synagogue is located at 415 East 6th Street. Pesach Ackerman has served as Rabbi since 1969. The synagogue is unusual in being a very small, urban congregation on a narrow lot that has an extremely beautiful neo-classical facade, and is the last operating "tenement synagogue" in New York City's East Village.

May 16 2011

Park East Synagogue, Manhattan

Park East Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1

Park East Synagogue is located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, in New York City. Congregation Zichron Ephraim was established by Rabbi Bernard Drachman and Jonas Weil to promote Orthodox Judaism as an alternative to Reform Judaism popular on the Upper East Side.


May 16 2011

Ramath Orah, Manhattan

Ramath Orah, Manhattan. Image 1

Congregation Ramath Orah is an Orthodox synagogue located in Manhattan's Upper West Side, close to Columbia University. It occupies a neo-Georgian building originally built in 1921 for the West Side Unitarian Church. The congregation was founded in 1942 by Rabbi Dr. Robert Serebrenik, his wife Mrs. Julia Serebrenik (née Herzog), and sixty-one other Jewish refugees form Luxembourg.


May 08 2012

Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan

Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan. Photo 1

Founded in 1940, the synagogue originally served a bustling, immigrant population within New York’s Yiddish theater district. The present congregation building is a former St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, located in the Lower East Side, Manhattan, New York City. It was founded in 1846. The church lost most of its congregation in a tragic fire aboard the General Slocum steamship in June 1904. The building stood empty for years afterward until it was brought back to life by a group of Jewish visionaries in November 1940.

Dec 23 2012

Van Cortlandt Jewish Center, The Bronx

The Van Cortlandt Jewish Center (VCJC) is a modern Orthodox synagogue affiliated with the Orthodox Union. Founded in 1927, the Center initially was housed in a street level room of an apartment building. In 1947, the Center moved into a converted mansion at 3997 Gouverneur Avenue, where it remained for 18 years. In 1965, VCJC moved into its own newly constructed building at 3880 Sedgwick Avenue, its current home.