new brighton


Jun 05 2011

Calvary Presbyterian Church in West New Brighton, Staten Island

Calvary Presbyterian Church, Staten Island. Image 1

Calvary Presbyterian Church was organized on November 17, 1872, by thirty-five persons, most of whom had previously been members of the Dutch Reformed Church of Port Richmond. The society occupied a chapel that had been erected at the corner of Castleton and Bement Avenues during the summer of 1872, for use by a Sunday-school that had been organized in May of that year. In September 1874, the plain wooden chapel was doubled in size so that it could accomodate about 500 persons. On the evening of April 17, 1892, arsonists set fires in the area, and the chapel burned to the ground.


May 08 2011

Christ Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

Christ Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

Christ Church New Brighton (Episcopal) is a historic Episcopal church complex at 76 Franklin Avenue in New Brighton, Staten Island, New York. The complex consists of a Late Victorian Gothic church (1904) and parish hall, connected to the church by an enclosed cloister, and a Tudor-style rectory (built 1879 and remodeled in 1909). It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.


May 09 2011

St. Peter's Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

St. Peter's Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

Before the establishment of St. Peter's in 1839, the Mass was not regularly celebrated on Staten Island. In fact, Catholics on the island had to travel to either St. Peter's in Manhattan or St. James's in Brooklyn if they wished to partake in the Mass on a regular basis. Bishop Hughes, after considering that the Catholic population on the island had grown to around 100 people, decided that a parish should be established on Staten Island. Father Ildelfonso Medrano, an exiled Spaniard, was assigned by the bishop as St. Peter's first pastor on April 1, 1839.


May 31 2011

St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

The Church of St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1634 Victory Boulevard, West New Brighton, Staten Island, New York City. The church was built 1953 to the designs of the prolific architect Robert J. Reiley of Robert J. Reiley & Associates.