morrisania


May 28 2011

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church was founded in 1938 by the Rev. Edler Garnet Hawkins. During the 1940s and 1950s, the congregation grew to more than a thousand members, which included mostly African-Americans and Puerto Ricans. In 1964, Rev. Hawkins was elected the first African-American moderator of the United Presbyterian Church, and served St. Augustine until his death in 1977. The brick neo-Gothic building was constructed in 1906 for the Woodstock Presbyterian Church; that congregation merged into the Home Street Presbyterian Church in 1938.


May 23 2011

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. Augustine is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1183 Franklin Avenue between East 167th Street and East 168th Street in the Morrisania neighborhood of The Bronx, New York City.

The church was built 1894 to the designs of architect Louis H. Giele with Baroque Revival and Renaissance Revival design elements. It was dedicated in 1895 by the Archbishop of New York. The parochial school nearby was completed in 1904.