manhattan


Apr 26 2011

Stanton Street Synagogue, Manhattan

Stanton Street Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1

The shul that stands at 180 Stanton Street is the first American home of Congregation Bnai Jacob Anshe Brzezan (“Sons of Jacob, People of Brzezan”). Incorporated in 1893, the community of Jewish immigrants from the town of Brzezan in Southeast Galicia, (formerly Austria-Hungary, then Poland, now the Ukraine), created their place of worship from an existing structure on the site in 1913, within a thriving Lower East Side Jewish community. The shul has since changed with the neighborhood, but has struggled to preserve its old country roots. Today, it is one of the few tenement shuls still left of the 700 congregations recorded in 1918 serving the Jews of the Lower East Side.


Sep 03 2011

The Church of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan

The Church of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan. Image 1

The origins of Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church date back to October 23, 1898, when a new parish was established on the West Side between 77th street and 86th from Central Park to the Hudson River. The area known today as the Upper West Side was fairly well-developed by 1900, and it would take several years to purchase property for a church building, rectory and school. Father Michael J. Considine supervised the construction of the church complex,


Apr 17 2011

Trinity Church, Manhattan

Trinity Church in Manhattan. Image 1

Trinity Church (also known as Trinity Wall Street) at 79 Broadway, Lower Manhattan, is a historic, active parish church in the Diocese of New York. Trinity Church is at the intersection of Wall Street and Broadway, New York.

In 1696, Governor Benjamin Fletcher approved the purchase of land in Lower Manhattan by the Church of England community for construction of a new church. The parish received its charter from King William III of England on May 6, 1697. Its land grant specified an annual rent of sixty bushels of wheat.


Apr 16 2011

Trinity Presbyterian Church in Manhattan

Trinity Presbyterian Church in Manhattan: via http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com

Trinity Presbyterian Church, located in the historic Clinton or Hell's Kitchen section of New York City, started as a Sunday School mission over a stable on Tenth Avenue in 1877. Today the 100-member congregation -- although limited by space, membership size and funds -- carries on a diverse ministry that continues to focus on youth and children along with the homeless, older persons, and the theater/arts community.


May 08 2012

Washington Square Methodist Church, Manhattan

Washington Square Methodist Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Washington Square Methodist Episcopal Church was a former Methodist church located at 135 West Fourth Street, Greenwich Village, Manhattan, New York. It was built in 1860, became a United Methodist church and closed in 2004 when its diminished congregation rented space in Trinity Chapel, New York University in 1964. The church could not be demolished as it was located in the Village historic district and was instead converted into residential units.

Oct 02 2011

West-Park Presbyterian Church, Manhattan

West-Park Presbyterian Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

West-Park Presbyterian Church is a Romanesque Revival Presbyterian church located on the corner of Amsterdam Avenue at 86th Street on Manhattan's Upper West Side, New York City, consisting of a main sanctuary and chapel. The congregation was founded in 1852 as the 84th Street Presbyterian Church, building its first chapel of timber in 1854 on 84th Street and West End Avenue, to designs by one of the city’s most prominent architects, Prague-born Leopold Eidlitz. The church changed its name to Park Presbyterian Church in 1887.