manhattan


Jul 03 2011

St. Monica's Church, Manhattan

St. Monica's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Church of St. Monica is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 413 East 79th Street, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1879. The fourth Catholic parish on the Upper East Side, St. Monica's was founded by Fr. John Treanor, pastor of the Church of St. Lawrence O'Toole (now the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola).


Jul 09 2011

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church at WTC, Manhattan

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church at WTC, Manhattan. Image 1

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church stood across Liberty Street from the South Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City, USA. It was completely destroyed in the September 11, 2001, attacks when the South Tower collapsed.

The building that came to house the church was built around 1832. In 1916, Greek American immigrants started the congregation of St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and in 1922 started to hold worship services at the Liberty Street location.


Jun 17 2012

St. Nicholas of Myra Church, Manhattan

St. Nicholas of Myra Church, Manhattan

The St. Nicholas of Myra Church is an American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese (ACROD) church dedicated to Saint Nicholas, located at 288 East 10th Street, on the corner of Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, across from Tompkins Square Park.
The church was built in 1883 as the Memorial Chapel of St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery, designed in Gothic Revival style by James Renwick, Jr. – who also designed Grace Church and St. Patrick's Cathedral – and W. H. Russell. The chapel was a gift of Rutherford Stuyvesant,

Apr 16 2011

St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Manhattan

The Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Nicholas, at 15 East 97th Street, was built in 1902 and soon became an American battleground for conflicts between czarist and Soviet Russians. Now, a decade after the fall of communism and the end of the officially atheistic Soviet state, a new bishop, fresh from Moscow, is planning renovations and modernization.


May 09 2011

St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, Manhattan

St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, Manhattan. Image 1

The corner stone of Old St. Patrick's - the city's first Cathedral Church - was laid on June 8,1809. It was dedicated on May 14,1815, and on that day the New York Gazette described the cathedral as "a grand and beautiful church, which may justly be considered one of the greatest ornaments of our city". Designed by architect Joseph Francois Mangin, St. Patrick's has great dignity and character in its restrained simplicity. Her sidewalls rise to a height of 75 feet, and the inner vault is 85 feet high. The church is over 120 feet long and 80 feet wide. Near the west wall stands the huge marble altar surrounded by an ornately carved, gold leaf reredos.


Dec 04 2011

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Paul's Chapel, is an Episcopal chapel located at 209 Broadway, between Fulton and Vesey Streets, in lower Manhattan in New York City. It is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan. A chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church, St. Paul's was built on land granted by Queen Anne of Great Britain, and Andrew Gautier served as the master craftsman. Upon completion in 1766, it stood in a field some distance from the growing port city to the south. It was built as a "chapel-of-ease" for parishioners who lived far from the Mother Church.

May 09 2011

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan. Image 1: via http://www.nycago.org

St Peter's Church is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in New York City and part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York. The church was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1965. The original church's cornerstone was laid in 1785 and the first solemn Mass was celebrated in 1786. This was nearly three years before George Washington—standing less than a mile away on an open-air balcony of Federal Hall (the nation's first capitol)—took the oath of office as the first president of the United States. The cornerstone of the present Greek Revival church, designed by architects Thomas Thomas and John R. Hagarty, was laid in 1836. The exisiting church was completed in 1840.


Oct 30 2011

St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The community was officially incorporated by the State of New York on June 25, 1931 under the name "Washington Heights Hellenic Orthodox Church, Inc.,". The faitfhul congregated at first in a small hall above a theater located on St., Nicholas Avenue at 185th Street. Later, they met in a room above a garage on 183rd Street east of Broadway. Holy Rood Episcopalian Church on 179th Street and Ft. Washington Avenue, made available an auditorium for use of our parish.


Jun 11 2012

St. Thomas Church, Manhattan

St Thomas Church

Saint Thomas Church, located at the corner of 53rd Street and Fifth Avenue in the borough of Manhattan, New York, New York in the United States, is an Episcopal parish church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. It is also known as Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue or as Saint Thomas Church in the City of New York and was incorporated on 9 January 1824.
The present church, a designated New York landmark, was built from 1911 to 1913, designed by a partnership of Ralph Adams Cram,

Jun 20 2011

St. Vartan Cathedral, Manhattan

St. Vartan Cathedral, Manhattan. Image 1

St. Vartan Cathedral (Armenian: Սբ. Վարդան տաճար) in New York City is the first cathedral of the Armenian Apostolic Church to be constructed in North America. It is located in New York City on the corner of Second Avenue and Thirty-forth street and was built to resemble the St. Hripsime Church in Echmiadzin. St. Vartan's was consecrated on April 28, 1968 by His Holiness Vazgen I, Catholicos of Armenia and of All Armenians.