manhattan


Jul 12 2011

St. Elizabeth's Church, Manhattan

St. Elizabeth's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Church of St. Elizabeth is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at West 187th Street at Wadsworth Avenue, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1869, originally located on 187th Street at Broadway from 1869 to 1929.

The parish was founded in 1869 what was then known as Fort Washington by the Rev. Cornelius O’Callaghan.


Jul 03 2011

St. John the Baptist Church and Convent, Manhattan

St. John the Baptist Church and Convent, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by James Russiello.

The Church of St. John the Baptist is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 211 West 30th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues in the Fur District of the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. To the church's rear is the Capuchin Monastery of St. John the Baptist, located at 210 West 31st Street across from Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden.


Jul 03 2011

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 2

Greek Orthodox Church of St. John the Baptist at 143 East 17th Street in Manhattan, New York City. Built in 1885, designed by Schwartzmann & Buchman, with a baroque facade that was altered in 1957 by Kyriacos A. Kalfas.

Source: "From Abyssinian to Zion" (2004)


May 08 2012

St. Joseph Church in Greenwich Village, Manhattan

St. Joseph Church in Greenwich Village, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Church of St. Joseph in Greenwich Village is a Roman Catholic parish church located at 365 Avenue of the Americas (Sixth Avenue) at the corner of Washington Place in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. Built in 1833-34, it is the oldest purpose-built Roman Catholic church building in New York City.
St. Joseph's Parish was founded by Bishop John Dubois in 1829. The cornerstone of the Church was laid on June 10, 1833. The church was designed by John Doran in the Greek Revival style.

Jul 12 2011

St. Jude's Church, Manhattan

The Church of St. Jude is a Catholic parish church in the Archdiocese of New York, located at 481 West 204th Street and Tenth Avenue in Manhattan, New York City. It was established in 1949. The church was built 1951 to designs by the architectural firm of Voorhees, Walker, Foley & Smith of 101 Park Avenue for $600,000.


Jul 03 2011

St. Lucy's Church, Manhattan

St. Lucy's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St. Lucy’s Church is a Roman Catholic parish located in Manhattan, New York City under the authority of the Archdiocese of New York. The church and school address is 338-342 East 104th Street, New York, New York 10029; the school occupied 336 East 104th Street.

The parish was established in 1899 by the Rev. Edmund W. Cronin for Italian and English-speaking Catholics


Jun 11 2012

St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Saint Malachy Roman Catholic Church is a parish church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located in Manhattan on West 49th Street, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue. The parish has served the theater community in a special way since 1920, and its parishioners have included a large number of celebrities in the field of acting, such as Bob Hope and Gregory Peck. The parish was founded in 1902 by Archbishop Farley. The current church complex was designed by prolific ecclesiastical architect, Thomas J. Duff, and built the following year.

May 20 2011

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan. Image 1
In 1651, Peter Stuyvesant, Governor of New Amsterdam, purchased land for a bowery or farm from the Dutch West India Company and by 1660 built a family chapel at the present day site of St. Marks Church. Stuyvesant died in 1678 and was interred in a vault under the chapel. Stuyvesant's great-grandson, Petrus, would donate the chapel property to Episcopal Church in 1793, stipulating that a new chapel be erected and in 1795 the cornerstone of the present day St. Mark's Church was laid. The church was completed and consecrated in 1799. Alexander Hamilton would then provide legal aid in incorporating St. Mark's Church as the first Episcopal Parish independent of Trinity Church in the new world.

May 28 2011

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St Mary's American Orthodox Greek Catholic Church (Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese) at 121 East 7th Street between First Avenue and Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City was built c.1900, and was altered in 1902 by John P. Voelker. The santuary has served a number of different parishes: the First Hungarian Reformed Church, Ressurection Greek Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church of Saints Peter and Paul.


Jun 17 2012

St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Mary’s parish dates to 1912, the heyday of Carpatho-Russian immigration to the United States. The parish first used a former Welsh Presbyterian church building at 255 East 13th Street. The present building was designed in 1959, by the Rev. Cajetan J.B. Baumann, who was a Franciscan friar in addition to being an architect. He designed a range of religious buildings both in New York and elsewhere. This church building was the first all-glass church in the country, with a design that emulates temples of early Christianity in Greece.