manhattan


Aug 08 2011

Riverside Church, Manhattan

Riverside Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Riverside Church in the City of New York is an interdenominational (American Baptist and United Church of Christ) church in New York City, famous for its elaborate Neo-Gothic architecture—which includes the world's largest tuned carillon bell. It is located in Morningside Heights between Riverside Drive and Claremont Avenue and between 120th Street and 122nd Street.


Apr 17 2011

Saint Patrick's Cathedral

The Cathedral of St. Patrick (commonly called St. Patrick's Cathedral) is a decorated Neo-Gothic-style Roman Catholic cathedral church in the United States. It is the seat of the archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, and a parish church, located on the east side of Fifth Avenue between 50th and 51st Streets in midtown Manhattan, New York City, New York, directly across the street from Rockefeller Center.


Jun 20 2011

Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava, Manhattan

Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava, Manhattan. Image 1

Gracing Manhattan's historic Chelsea District, the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava is a splendid example of Gothic Revival architecture. The former Trinity Chapel and the then uptown branch of Trinity Church on Wall Street was designed in 1851 by the celebrated architect Richard M. Upjohn.


May 08 2012

Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan

Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan. Photo 1

Founded in 1940, the synagogue originally served a bustling, immigrant population within New York’s Yiddish theater district. The present congregation building is a former St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, located in the Lower East Side, Manhattan, New York City. It was founded in 1846. The church lost most of its congregation in a tragic fire aboard the General Slocum steamship in June 1904. The building stood empty for years afterward until it was brought back to life by a group of Jewish visionaries in November 1940.

Sep 11 2012

St. Augustine's Church, Manhattan

St. Augustine's Church, Manhattan. Photo 1
St. Augustine's Church at 290 Henry Street between Montgomery and Jackson Streets in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1827-29 as the All Saints' Free Church, and was constructed out of Manhattan schist. The design – a Georgian structure with Gothic windows – is credited to John Heath, and includes a double pediment and a projecting tower. The church was enlarged in 1848 with the addition of a sanctuary and a chancel.

May 21 2011

St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Saint Barbara was founded in 1926 by struggling immigrants, this magnificent structure once a synagogue, has provided and continues to provide the greatest comfort of our beloved Martyr Saint Barbara. As the patron Saint of firefighters and the artillery, Saint Barbara was a haven to those who fought during World War II. The Church at that time was a thriving community with newly arriving families from Greece finding religious solace at her door.


Jul 19 2011

St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Manhattan

St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Manhattan

St. Bartholomew's Church, commonly called St. Bart's, is a historic Episcopal parish founded in January 1835, and located on the east side of Park Avenue between 50th and 51st Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City.

The congregation's first location was opened for service in January 1835, in a plain church at the corner of Great Jones Street and fashionable Lafayette Place.


Apr 16 2011

St. Clement's Episcopal Church in Manhattan

St. Clement's was founded in 1830, and currently serves Manhattan's Theatre District. In 1962, St. Clement's was reconfigured to include a theatre and embarked upon its theatre ministry, symbolized every Sunday by our famous Mass in the Theatre. We remain the second oldest, continually operating Off Broadway Theatre in New York City.


Apr 21 2012

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church at 359 West 24th Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, is the second church on this site. The first St. Eleftherios Church was orginally the Twenty-fourth Street Methodist Episcopal Church, which was built in 1860, and taken over by the St. Eleftherios congregation in 1913. That church burnt down in 1973,

Jul 03 2011

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church, Manhattan

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of St. Elizabeth of Hungary is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 211 East 83rd Street, between Second and Third Avenues, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. St. Elizabeth's was originally founded by Slovakian immigrants on the Lower East Side, with the first Mass celebrated on April 26, 1891 in the basement of St. Bridget's Church on 8th Street and Avenue B.