manhattan


Sep 12 2012

Meseritz Sinagogue, Manhattan

Meseritz Sinagogue, Manhattan. Photo 1

Meseritz Shul, AKA Edath Lei'Isroel Ansche Meseritz, is a 1910 Orthodox synagogue on New York city's Lower East Side. It was built by a congregation established in 1888 consisting of immigrants from Międzyrzec Podlaski (Mesritch, Poland). The synagogue is located at 415 East 6th Street. Pesach Ackerman has served as Rabbi since 1969. The synagogue is unusual in being a very small, urban congregation on a narrow lot that has an extremely beautiful neo-classical facade, and is the last operating "tenement synagogue" in New York City's East Village.

Jul 12 2011

Mount Washington Presbyterian Church, Manhattan

Mount Washington Presbyterian Church was established in 1844 by Samuel Thomson (1784-1850), a resident of Inwood, in the northern area of Manhattan. It was named for the site of Fort Washington which is presently located in Bennett Park on Fort Washington Avenue between 183rd and 185th Streets.


Dec 03 2011

New Middle Collegiate Church, Manhattan

New Middle Collegiate Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The New Middle Collegiate Church, on Second Avenue in the East Village is located between 6th and 7th Streets. It was built in 1891 and designed by S. B. Reed and was "'thoroughly equipped' as one guide said, 'with reading-rooms, gymnasium, and all appliances for aggressive modern church work'." The church was the successor of the Second Middle Collegiate Church, also known as the Lafayette Place Middle Dutch Church, built 1839 and abandoned by the congregation in 1887. The congregation was founded in 1628, and is the oldest continuous Protestant congregation in North America

Apr 17 2011

New York Buddhist Church in Manhattan

New York Buddhist Church in Manhattan. Image 1

The New York Buddhist Church (NYBC) is a temple of Jodoshinshu True Pure Land School Buddhism, whose head temple is Nishi-Hongwanji Temple in Kyoto, Japan. Shinran Shonin (1173-1262) is the founder of this school of Buddhism.


Apr 21 2012

Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection, Manhattan

Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection

The Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection and Chapel of St Innocent of Irkutsk, East Village, Manhattan, New York, is one of the main places of Orthodox worship in New York City. The parish originated in 1870 as the Russo-Greek Chapel of Holy Trinity to serve the needs of the Russian and Greek Embassies. In 1895 it was re-organized as the Church of St Nicholas. New church building was built in 1904.

Aug 13 2011

Our Lady of the Holy Rosary's Church, Manhattan

Our Lady of the Holy Rosary's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 7 State Street, between Pearl St. and Water Streets, Financial District, Manhattan, New York City, New York. The parish is home to the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.


Jul 12 2011

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Manhattan

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (New York City) is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 91 Arden Street, south of Broadway, Inwood, Manhattan. It was established 1927 and built 1928 to designs by Gustave E. Steinback of 157 West 74th Street for the cost of $160,000.


May 16 2011

Park East Synagogue, Manhattan

Park East Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1

Park East Synagogue is located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, in New York City. Congregation Zichron Ephraim was established by Rabbi Bernard Drachman and Jonas Weil to promote Orthodox Judaism as an alternative to Reform Judaism popular on the Upper East Side.


May 25 2011

Primera Iglesia Bautista Hispana Church, Manhattan

Contact info:
96 Wadsworth Avenue,
New York, NY 10033-7044

May 16 2011

Ramath Orah, Manhattan

Ramath Orah, Manhattan. Image 1

Congregation Ramath Orah is an Orthodox synagogue located in Manhattan's Upper West Side, close to Columbia University. It occupies a neo-Georgian building originally built in 1921 for the West Side Unitarian Church. The congregation was founded in 1942 by Rabbi Dr. Robert Serebrenik, his wife Mrs. Julia Serebrenik (née Herzog), and sixty-one other Jewish refugees form Luxembourg.