manhattan


Jul 12 2011

Church of the Good Shepherd, Manhattan

Church of the Good Shepherd, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of the Good Shepherd is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 608 Isham Street, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1911 and was formerly staffed by the Paulist Fathers. It is currently staffed by the Capuchin Friars.

The church cornerstone is dated 1936, which similarly establishes the church as being a Paulist Fathers church.


Apr 16 2011

Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Manhattan

Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Manhattan. Image 1: via http://catholicmanhattan.blogspot.com

The Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a Roman Catholic parish church, located in Manhattan's Hell's Kitchen/Clinton. Founded in 1876, it is a parish of the Archdiocese of New York and is at 457 West 51st Street. Sacred Heart of Jesus School is located at 456 West 52nd Street.


May 16 2011

Congregation Shearith Israel, Manhattan

Congregation Shearith Israel, Manhattan. Image 1

Congregation Shearith Israel, often called The Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, is the oldest Jewish congregation in the United States. It was established in 1654. The Orthodox synagogue is located on Central Park West at 70th Street in the Upper West Side of Manhattan.


Sep 12 2012

Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew, Manhattan

Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew is the oldest Lutheran congregation in North America. The congregation belongs to the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Since 2006, the congregation has been located at the Cornerstone Center, at 178 Bennett Avenue. The congregation has been known by different names, only acquiring the name St. Matthew in 1822 and using it exclusively in 1838. The congregation was founded 1643 by Dutch Lutherans in New Amsterdam but the church was not chartered until December 6, 1664.

May 08 2011

Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Manhattan

Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1: Copyright by Unknown

The Fifth Avenue Synagogue (קהלת עטרת צבי) is an Orthodox Jewish synagogue located at 5 East 62nd Street between Fifth and Madison Avenues in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The synagogue was founded in 1958, by former members of Congregation Zichron Ephraim who opposed that congregation's decision to seat men and women together during services. Henry Hirsch, Myrtle Hirsch, Leib Merkin and Hermann Merkin were among the congregation's founders. Author Herman Wouk was an early member of the Fifth Avenue Synagogue.


Jun 20 2011

First Corinthian Baptist Church, Manhattan

First Corinthian Baptist Church, Manhattan. Image 1

First Corinthian Baptist Church, Manhattan. Image 2

One of the most ornate structures in Harlem, this church started its life in 1913 as the Regent Theatre, one of the country's early movie palaces. Its elaborately columned and arched facade loosely resembles the Doges' Palace in Venice. The Regent was sold to the church in 1964.


May 21 2011

Greek Orthodox Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan

Greek Orthodox Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Manhattan. Image 1

The Archdiocesan Cathedral of the Holy Trinity is an institution of the Archdiocese with over 800 families. It includes the Cathedral School, a private school consisting of grades K-8. It has served as the national Cathedral of the Archdiocese since 1962 hosting patriarchs, hierarchs, dignitaries and visitors from throughout the world. The Cathedral congregation invites you to worship and participate in its social services, Bible study, mission and fellowship.


Jul 12 2011

Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan

Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by Steven E. Lawson

The Hebrew Tabernacle Congregation was founded in 1906, and held its services at 220 West 130th Street in a building which later became the Williams Institutional C.M.E. Church. In 1922, the congregation laid the cornerstone for a new synagogue and community house at 605 West 161st Street, near Fort Washington Avenue. Completed at a cost of $500,000 in 1925, the buildings were designed by George and Edward Blum and Ludwig Hanauer, and featured terra cotta trim and a deep latticework arch over the entrance.


May 23 2011

Holy Cross Church, Manhattan

Holy Cross Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Holy Cross Church is a Roman Catholic church located at 329 West 42nd Street between Eighth and Ninth Avenues in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, near Times Square and across the street from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The Holy Cross Parish was established in 1852 and a chapel erected, which the congregation quickly outgrew. In 1854, a new building was constructed and dedicated, but lightning struck this second structure in 1867, and the ensuing fire severely damaged it.


Dec 03 2011

Holy Rosary Church, Manhattan

Holy Rosary Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Church of the Holy Rosary is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 444 East 119th Street, East Harlem, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1884 for the for the Germans and the Irish of the newly developed neighborhood. The present church building was dedicated in 1898.