manhattan


May 20 2011

Abyssinian Baptist Church, Manhattan

Abyssinian Baptist Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The church traces its roots to 1808, when visiting free Ethiopian seamen and allied African American parishioners left the First Baptist Church in the City of New York in protest over being restricted to racially segregated seating. They named their new congregation the Abyssinian Baptist Church after the historic name of Ethiopia. Through the years, Abyssinian Baptist Church moved north on the island of Manhattan, as Harlem became a center of African-American population.


Dec 03 2011

All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Manhattan

All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church is a small church located at 11th Street in East Village, Manhattan. It's building was constructed in 1851 for the Welsh Congregational Church. In 1944 the building was sold to the Free Magyar Reformed Church of New York. In 1960 it was converted to an off-Broadway playhouse. In 1971 it resumed use as a church operated by the All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church of NYC.

Dec 04 2011

Angel Orensanz Center, Manhattan

Angel Orensanz Center, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Angel Orensanz Center (originally, Anshe Chesed Synagogue; also formerly known as the Norfolk Street Congregation and Anshe Slonim Synagogue) is located at 172 Norfolk Street (between Stanton Street and East Houston Street) on the Lower East Side of New York City, New York. It is housed in a Gothic Revival synagogue, built in 1849 for Congregation Ansche Chesed (People of Kindness).

Aug 26 2011

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church is a Greek Orthodox church on Manhattan's Upper West Side at West End Avenue and West 91st Street. The Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation (Evangelismos) is a parish of the Direct Archdiocesan District of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. The church was built by Heins & LaFarge in (1893–94) as the Fourth Presbyterian Church. The church was sold to a Greek parish in 1952.


Feb 26 2012

Calvary Church, Manhattan

Calvary Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Calvary Church is an Episcopal church located at 273 Park Avenue South on the corner of East 21st Street in the Gramercy Park neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, on the border of the Flatiron District. The church complex is located within the Gramercy Park Historic District and Extension.
The Calvary Church parish was founded in 1832, and initially used a wooden-frame church on what was then Fourth Avenue – which has since become Park Avenue – uptown of its current site. That building was moved to the current location in 1842, and the new Gothic Revival sanctuary, designed by James Renwick, was completed in 1848.

Apr 11 2011

Cathedral of Saint John the Divine

The Cathedral of St. John the Divine, officially the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine in the City and Diocese of New York, is the Cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. Located at 1047 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10025 (between West 110th Street, which is also known as "Cathedral Parkway", and 113th Street) in Manhattan's Morningside Heights, the cathedral disputes with Liverpool Anglican Cathedral the title of largest Cathedral and Anglican church and fourth largest Christian church in the world.


Apr 17 2011

Central Baptist Church of New York

Central Baptist Church of New York. Image 1

Central Baptist Church recently celebrated its 166th anniversary and remains a vital part of its community. Our roots were originally on Laight Street in Lower Manhattan in 1842. The Laight Street and Bloomingdale Baptist Churches combined to become the Central Baptist Church located in Times Square in 1870. In 1916, after nearly 25 pastors in 4 to 6 different buildings, Central‘s doors opened at its current location on the Upper West Side at 92nd Street and Amsterdam Avenue.


Apr 10 2011

Central Synagogue

Central Sinagogue, Manhattan. Image 1

The Central Synagogue (Congregation Ahavath Chesed) is located at 652 Lexington Avenue on the corner of 55th Street, Manhattan, New York City, New York. Built in 1872 in the Moorish Revival style as a copy of Budapest's Dohány Street Synagogue, it pays homage to the Jewish existence in Moorish Spain. It has been in continuous use by a congregation longer than any other in the city.


Jul 03 2011

Church of Our Saviour, Manhattan

Church of Our Saviour, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by Steven E. Lawson

The Roman Catholic Church of Our Saviour was established in 1955, making it one of the youngest parishes in Manhattan. Its striking Romanesque edifice on Park Avenue, designed by Paul W. Reilly and built in 1959, is also one of the newer Roman Catholic church buildings.


Oct 02 2011

Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew, Manhattan

Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Church of Saint Paul and Saint Andrew is a historic United Methodist church located in the Upper West Side of New York City, New York on West 86th Street. The Church is known for being socially moderate, and being accepting of people of all races, ages, and sexual orientations. The Church hosts a number of performing arts groups; including the Empire City Men's Chorus, The Prospect Theater Company, and David Parker & The Bang Group.