judaism


Apr 25 2011

Queens Jewish Center

Queens Jewish Center. Image 1

The Queens Jewish Center, also known as Queens Jewish Center and Talmud Torah or QJC, is a synagogue in Forest Hills, New York known for its significant contributions to the Jewish community. The synagogue was established by a dozen families in 1943 to serve the growing central Queens Jewish community. The Queens Jewish Center building won honorable mention in the 1955 Queens Chamber of Commerce, Annual Building Awards. The architect was David Moed of Manhattan and the Builder was the LeFrak Organization.


May 16 2011

Ramath Orah, Manhattan

Ramath Orah, Manhattan. Image 1

Congregation Ramath Orah is an Orthodox synagogue located in Manhattan's Upper West Side, close to Columbia University. It occupies a neo-Georgian building originally built in 1921 for the West Side Unitarian Church. The congregation was founded in 1942 by Rabbi Dr. Robert Serebrenik, his wife Mrs. Julia Serebrenik (née Herzog), and sixty-one other Jewish refugees form Luxembourg.


May 08 2012

Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan

Sixth Street Community Synagogue, Manhattan. Photo 1

Founded in 1940, the synagogue originally served a bustling, immigrant population within New York’s Yiddish theater district. The present congregation building is a former St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, located in the Lower East Side, Manhattan, New York City. It was founded in 1846. The church lost most of its congregation in a tragic fire aboard the General Slocum steamship in June 1904. The building stood empty for years afterward until it was brought back to life by a group of Jewish visionaries in November 1940.

Apr 26 2011

Stanton Street Synagogue, Manhattan

Stanton Street Synagogue, Manhattan. Image 1

The shul that stands at 180 Stanton Street is the first American home of Congregation Bnai Jacob Anshe Brzezan (“Sons of Jacob, People of Brzezan”). Incorporated in 1893, the community of Jewish immigrants from the town of Brzezan in Southeast Galicia, (formerly Austria-Hungary, then Poland, now the Ukraine), created their place of worship from an existing structure on the site in 1913, within a thriving Lower East Side Jewish community. The shul has since changed with the neighborhood, but has struggled to preserve its old country roots. Today, it is one of the few tenement shuls still left of the 700 congregations recorded in 1918 serving the Jews of the Lower East Side.


Jun 12 2011

Temple Emanu-El in Port Richmond, Staten Island

Temple Emanu-El in Port Richmond, Staten Island. Image 1

Temple Emanu-El was founded in 1907. There are various versions as to its founding. One is that it started as a Sisterhood interested in Judaism. The other version is that it began with a group of mostly young, immigrant businessmen on Port Richmond Avenue, then the main street of Staten Island. The story goes that when they began to have children they were concerned for the children's Jewish education and upbringing and started a fund based on the winnings of their Saturday night poker games.


Oct 09 2011

United Synagogue of Hoboken, NJ

United Synagogue of Hoboken, NJ. Photo 1

The United Synagogue of Hoboken is a Conservative synagogue in Hoboken, New Jersey, "in the heart of the gentrified part of Hoboken." In 1946 The Hoboken Jewish Center and The Star of Israel Synagogue merged to form The United Synagogue of Hoboken. Originally, Moses Montefiore Synagogue had been invited to join the merger, but it declined when it learned that there would be mixed seating for religious services.


Dec 23 2012

Van Cortlandt Jewish Center, The Bronx

The Van Cortlandt Jewish Center (VCJC) is a modern Orthodox synagogue affiliated with the Orthodox Union. Founded in 1927, the Center initially was housed in a street level room of an apartment building. In 1947, the Center moved into a converted mansion at 3997 Gouverneur Avenue, where it remained for 18 years. In 1965, VCJC moved into its own newly constructed building at 3880 Sedgwick Avenue, its current home.