inwood


Jul 12 2011

Church of the Good Shepherd, Manhattan

Church of the Good Shepherd, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of the Good Shepherd is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 608 Isham Street, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1911 and was formerly staffed by the Paulist Fathers. It is currently staffed by the Capuchin Friars.

The church cornerstone is dated 1936, which similarly establishes the church as being a Paulist Fathers church.


Jul 12 2011

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Inwood, Manhattan

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Inwood, Manhattan. Image 1

Holy Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church of Harlem was founded in 1868, shortly after the close of the American Civil War. The first church, located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 125th Street, was designed by John W. Welch and built from 1869-70. A great fire in 1888 destroyed the building, and the land was sold to Temple Israel.

A new church, on the southwest corner of Lenox Avenue and 122nd Street, was designed by William A. Potter and completed in 1888.


Jul 12 2011

Mount Washington Presbyterian Church, Manhattan

Mount Washington Presbyterian Church was established in 1844 by Samuel Thomson (1784-1850), a resident of Inwood, in the northern area of Manhattan. It was named for the site of Fort Washington which is presently located in Bennett Park on Fort Washington Avenue between 183rd and 185th Streets.


Jul 12 2011

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Manhattan

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (New York City) is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 91 Arden Street, south of Broadway, Inwood, Manhattan. It was established 1927 and built 1928 to designs by Gustave E. Steinback of 157 West 74th Street for the cost of $160,000.


Jul 12 2011

St. Jude's Church, Manhattan

The Church of St. Jude is a Catholic parish church in the Archdiocese of New York, located at 481 West 204th Street and Tenth Avenue in Manhattan, New York City. It was established in 1949. The church was built 1951 to designs by the architectural firm of Voorhees, Walker, Foley & Smith of 101 Park Avenue for $600,000.