Jun 12 2011

Church of the Holy Innocents, Brooklyn

Church of the Holy Innocents, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Innocents was founded in 1909 to serve the Flatbush area of Brooklyn. A first church building was erected on East 17th Street at Beverly Road, and the site would eventually include a rectory and school.

In 1922, plans were approved for the construction of a much larger church and rectory to be located on the same site. The 1,100-seat church was designed in the Late Gothic Revival style by Helme & Corbett, who were also the architects of St. Gregory's Church in Brooklyn.