financial district


Aug 13 2011

Our Lady of the Holy Rosary's Church, Manhattan

Our Lady of the Holy Rosary's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 7 State Street, between Pearl St. and Water Streets, Financial District, Manhattan, New York City, New York. The parish is home to the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.


Jul 09 2011

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church at WTC, Manhattan

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church at WTC, Manhattan. Image 1

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church stood across Liberty Street from the South Tower of the World Trade Center in New York City, USA. It was completely destroyed in the September 11, 2001, attacks when the South Tower collapsed.

The building that came to house the church was built around 1832. In 1916, Greek American immigrants started the congregation of St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and in 1922 started to hold worship services at the Liberty Street location.


Dec 04 2011

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Paul's Chapel, is an Episcopal chapel located at 209 Broadway, between Fulton and Vesey Streets, in lower Manhattan in New York City. It is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan. A chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church, St. Paul's was built on land granted by Queen Anne of Great Britain, and Andrew Gautier served as the master craftsman. Upon completion in 1766, it stood in a field some distance from the growing port city to the south. It was built as a "chapel-of-ease" for parishioners who lived far from the Mother Church.

May 09 2011

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan. Image 1: via http://www.nycago.org

St Peter's Church is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in New York City and part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York. The church was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1965. The original church's cornerstone was laid in 1785 and the first solemn Mass was celebrated in 1786. This was nearly three years before George Washington—standing less than a mile away on an open-air balcony of Federal Hall (the nation's first capitol)—took the oath of office as the first president of the United States. The cornerstone of the present Greek Revival church, designed by architects Thomas Thomas and John R. Hagarty, was laid in 1836. The exisiting church was completed in 1840.


Apr 17 2011

Trinity Church, Manhattan

Trinity Church in Manhattan. Image 1

Trinity Church (also known as Trinity Wall Street) at 79 Broadway, Lower Manhattan, is a historic, active parish church in the Diocese of New York. Trinity Church is at the intersection of Wall Street and Broadway, New York.

In 1696, Governor Benjamin Fletcher approved the purchase of land in Lower Manhattan by the Church of England community for construction of a new church. The parish received its charter from King William III of England on May 6, 1697. Its land grant specified an annual rent of sixty bushels of wheat.