episcopal


Apr 16 2011

St. Clement's Episcopal Church in Manhattan

St. Clement's was founded in 1830, and currently serves Manhattan's Theatre District. In 1962, St. Clement's was reconfigured to include a theatre and embarked upon its theatre ministry, symbolized every Sunday by our famous Mass in the Theatre. We remain the second oldest, continually operating Off Broadway Theatre in New York City.


May 08 2011

St. George's Church in Flushing, Queens

St. George's Church in Flushing, Queens. Image 1

St. George's Church is an intercultural, multilingual Episcopal congregation in Flushing, New York with members from over twenty different nations of origin. A landmark church, it has served an ever changing congregation for over 300 years.


Oct 09 2011

St. James Episcopal Church in Elmhurst, Queens

St. James Episcopal Church in Elmhurst, Queens. Photo 1

St. James Church is an anglican episcopal church located at Broadway street in Elmhurst, Queens. It was founded in 1704 under a royal charter granted to the Church of England and is one of the oldest churches in New York City. The current campus encompasses two sides of Broadway and includes a modern church, a parish hall, a cloister, and a cemetery.


May 26 2011

St. James Episcopal Church, The Bronx

St. James Episcopal Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. James' Episcopal Church and Parish House is a historic Episcopal church at 2500 Jerome Avenue and 190th Street, in the Fordham section of The Bronx, New York City, New York. It was founded July 5, 1853, becoming the first Episcopal parish in Fordham. The parish at first met at the Manor Reformed Church on Kingsbridge Road, then on June 11, 1854 acquired an old schoolhouse for use. On October 1, 1854, the Rev. Joshua Weaver became its first rector.


Aug 18 2013

St. John's Episcopal Church, Queens

St. John's Episcopal Church is a christian church located at the cross of Sanford avenue and 149 place in Murray Hill, Queens. The parish was established in the 1890s. The present neo-gothic church building was built in 1920 as a replacement of an earlier church that had burned down.

Oct 24 2011

St. John's in the Wilderness Church in Stony Point, NY

St John's in the Wilderness Church, Harriman State Park, Stony Point, New York

St. John in the Wilderness Church is the St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church in Harriman State Park, Stony Point, New York. The church was built by Margaret Zimmerman in memory of her dead husband John. In 1879 Mrs. Zimmerman purchased the land for the church, on June 23 1880 the cornerstone was laid. The architecture was typical of Northern England, the native “hornblend” granite was used for the building construction.


May 20 2011

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan. Image 1
In 1651, Peter Stuyvesant, Governor of New Amsterdam, purchased land for a bowery or farm from the Dutch West India Company and by 1660 built a family chapel at the present day site of St. Marks Church. Stuyvesant died in 1678 and was interred in a vault under the chapel. Stuyvesant's great-grandson, Petrus, would donate the chapel property to Episcopal Church in 1793, stipulating that a new chapel be erected and in 1795 the cornerstone of the present day St. Mark's Church was laid. The church was completed and consecrated in 1799. Alexander Hamilton would then provide legal aid in incorporating St. Mark's Church as the first Episcopal Parish independent of Trinity Church in the new world.

Dec 04 2011

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Paul's Chapel, is an Episcopal chapel located at 209 Broadway, between Fulton and Vesey Streets, in lower Manhattan in New York City. It is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan. A chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church, St. Paul's was built on land granted by Queen Anne of Great Britain, and Andrew Gautier served as the master craftsman. Upon completion in 1766, it stood in a field some distance from the growing port city to the south. It was built as a "chapel-of-ease" for parishioners who lived far from the Mother Church.

Jun 04 2011

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brooklyn

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

St. Paul's Church, Carroll Gardens, also known as St. Paul's Episcopal Church, is a parish of the Episcopal Church in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. It is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island and the Episcopal Church in the United States of America, part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The church is located on the corner of Clinton and Carroll Streets in the Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn neighborhood of New York City.


Jun 11 2012

St. Thomas Church, Manhattan

St Thomas Church

Saint Thomas Church, located at the corner of 53rd Street and Fifth Avenue in the borough of Manhattan, New York, New York in the United States, is an Episcopal parish church of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. It is also known as Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue or as Saint Thomas Church in the City of New York and was incorporated on 9 January 1824.
The present church, a designated New York landmark, was built from 1911 to 1913, designed by a partnership of Ralph Adams Cram,