episcopal


May 28 2011

Grace Episcopal Church, City Island, The Bronx

Grace Episcopal Church, City Island, The Bronx. Image 1

Grace Episcopal Church has served its nautical community since 1849. Through the dedication of the Rev. C.W. Bolton and his sister Adele Bolton, son and daughter of the Rev. Robert Bolton (builder and Rector of Christ Church in Pelham), our church was conceived and became a reality, bringing the Christian doctrine to (as described by the Rev. C.W. Bolton) a community of "800 souls almost entirely neglected and destitute of the means of grace." Luckily, through grace, our Island home has come far, and our small church has gathered a rich history in those years.


Aug 08 2011

Holy Cross Monastery in West Park, NY

Holy Cross Monastery in West Park, NY. Image 1

Holy Cross Monastery is located on US 9W in West Park, New York, USA. It is the mother house of the Order of the Holy Cross, an Anglican religious order inspired by the Benedictine tradition.

The building, designed in a combination of Mission/Spanish Revival and Tudorbethan styles by architects Ralph Adams Cram and Henry Vaughan


Jul 12 2011

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Inwood, Manhattan

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Inwood, Manhattan. Image 1

Holy Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church of Harlem was founded in 1868, shortly after the close of the American Civil War. The first church, located on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 125th Street, was designed by John W. Welch and built from 1869-70. A great fire in 1888 destroyed the building, and the land was sold to Temple Israel.

A new church, on the southwest corner of Lenox Avenue and 122nd Street, was designed by William A. Potter and completed in 1888.


May 25 2011

Holyrood Episcopal Church, Manhattan

Contact info:
715 West 179th Street Fort Washington Avenue
New York, NY 10033

Oct 09 2011

Old St. James Episcopal Church, Queens

Old St. James Episcopal Church, Queens. Photo 1

St. James Church, also known as Church of England in America, Mission Church at Newton, St. James Protestant Episcopal Church, Parish Hall, Community Hall is a historic Episcopal church at 86-02 Broadway in Elmhurst, Queens, New York. It was built in 1735 and is the oldest surviving Anglican building in the City of New York. It is the oldest Church of England mission church in New York City.


Nov 03 2014

Saint Luke's Episcopal Church, Queens

Contact info:
85 Greenway South
Forest Hills, Queens, NY 11375

May 31 2011

St. Andrew's Church in Richmondtown, Staten Island

St. Andrew's Church in Richmondtown, Staten Island. Image 1

The Church of St. Andrew is an historic Episcopal church in Richmondtown, located at Arthur Kill and Old Mill Roads in Staten Island, New York. The congregation was founded in 1708. The first church was built in c.1712 or 1713 but was heavily damaged by 1867 and 1872. The church was rebuilt about 1872 in a Gothic style of fieldstone with stop-ended chamfered red brick trim. The attached Burgh Hall was erected in 1924 in a matching style.


Jan 02 2012

St. Ann's Episcopal Church, The Bronx

St. Anne's Episcopal Church

St. Ann's Church is a historic Episcopal church in the South Bronx, New York City. It was built in 1840 and donated by Gouverneur Morris Jr. (1813-1888) as a family memorial. It is a fieldstone building in the Gothic Revival style with a vernacular Greek Revival style tower. The complex includes the stone parish house added in 1916, late-19th century Sunday School and gymnasium building, and a graveyard that includes the Morris family crypt. Among those whose remains are in the graveyard or crypt are Gouverneur Morris (1752–1816), Lewis Morris (1671–1746), and Lewis Morris (1726–1798).

Sep 11 2012

St. Augustine's Church, Manhattan

St. Augustine's Church, Manhattan. Photo 1
St. Augustine's Church at 290 Henry Street between Montgomery and Jackson Streets in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1827-29 as the All Saints' Free Church, and was constructed out of Manhattan schist. The design – a Georgian structure with Gothic windows – is credited to John Heath, and includes a double pediment and a projecting tower. The church was enlarged in 1848 with the addition of a sanctuary and a chancel.

Jul 19 2011

St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Manhattan

St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Manhattan

St. Bartholomew's Church, commonly called St. Bart's, is a historic Episcopal parish founded in January 1835, and located on the east side of Park Avenue between 50th and 51st Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City.

The congregation's first location was opened for service in January 1835, in a plain church at the corner of Great Jones Street and fashionable Lafayette Place.