episcopal


Jun 11 2012

All Saints Episcopal Parish in Hoboken, NJ

Hoboken All Saints Episcopal Church

All Saints Episcopal Parish arose from the consolidation of three Episcopal churches in Hoboken in the early 1980's: St. Paul's (located at 820 Hudson Street) was founded in 1832, Trinity (current worship site at 701 Washington Street) was founded in 1853 and is the oldest continuous congregation in Hoboken and Church of the Holy Innocents (located at Sixth and Willow Streets) which was founded in 1874.

Feb 26 2012

Calvary Church, Manhattan

Calvary Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Calvary Church is an Episcopal church located at 273 Park Avenue South on the corner of East 21st Street in the Gramercy Park neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, on the border of the Flatiron District. The church complex is located within the Gramercy Park Historic District and Extension.
The Calvary Church parish was founded in 1832, and initially used a wooden-frame church on what was then Fourth Avenue – which has since become Park Avenue – uptown of its current site. That building was moved to the current location in 1842, and the new Gothic Revival sanctuary, designed by James Renwick, was completed in 1848.

Apr 11 2011

Cathedral of Saint John the Divine

The Cathedral of St. John the Divine, officially the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine in the City and Diocese of New York, is the Cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. Located at 1047 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10025 (between West 110th Street, which is also known as "Cathedral Parkway", and 113th Street) in Manhattan's Morningside Heights, the cathedral disputes with Liverpool Anglican Cathedral the title of largest Cathedral and Anglican church and fourth largest Christian church in the world.


May 08 2011

Christ Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

Christ Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

Christ Church New Brighton (Episcopal) is a historic Episcopal church complex at 76 Franklin Avenue in New Brighton, Staten Island, New York. The complex consists of a Late Victorian Gothic church (1904) and parish hall, connected to the church by an enclosed cloister, and a Tudor-style rectory (built 1879 and remodeled in 1909). It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.


May 26 2011

Christ Church, The Bronx

Christ Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Christ Church Complex (Christ Church, Riverdale) is a historic Episcopal parish church and related structures at 5030 Riverdale Avenue in the Riverdale area of The Bronx in New York City. The church was founded in 1866 and its building, made from brick and local stone with a simple pierced-wall belfry; the church building was built 1866 to designs by architect Richard M. Upjohn. It was built in 1866 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.


Jan 28 2012

Church of the Holy Innocents in Highland Falls, NY

Church of the Holy Innocents in Highland Falls, NY. Photo 1

The Church of the Holy Innocents is located on Main Street in Highland Falls, New York, USA, not far from the main gate of the United States Military Academy and right across from the West Point Museum. It is an Episcopal church, established in 1841. The building, designed by Robert Walter Weir, a Hudson River School painter then employed as an instructor at the academy, was completed five years later and consecrated in 1847. The name "Holy Innocents" came from Weir's children, who died young.

Aug 21 2011

Church of the Holy Innocents in Hoboken, NJ

Church of the Holy Innocents in Hoboken, NJ. Image 1

Church of the Holy Innocents is a historic church at Willow Avenue and 6th Street in Hoboken, New Jersey. The congregation was founded in 1872. It was built 1871-1872 to the designs of Edward Tuckerman Potter and Henry Vaughn. The choir was added in 1913, the baptistery in 1932. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The church parish merged with All Saints Episcopal Parish int 1983. Presently the church is not in use, but has been targeted by the parish for future restoration and renovation.


Jul 20 2011

Church of the Redeemer, Brooklyn

Contact info:
561 Pacific Street at Fourth Avenue,
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11217
See also:
  • NYC AGO page

Jun 05 2011

Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens

Church of the Resurrection in Richmond Hill, Queens. Image 1

The Church of the Resurrection is the oldest church in Richmond Hill. Sometime in 1866 or 1867, the Rev. George Cook, assistant minister at Grace Church, began to hold services in the old Long Island Railroad station between Hillside Avenue and Jamaica Avenue. The Richmond Hill mission, as it came to be known, took root and a chapel was built over a carpenter’s shop in the business block. The Richmond Hill chapel remained a mission until 1874 when the Reverend Joshua Kimber moved to Richmond Hill and took charge.


May 14 2011

Episcopal Church of the Mediator, The Bronx

Episcopal Church of the Mediator, The Bronx. Image 1

On August 15, 1855, a Protestant Episcopal society was organized in King's Bridge, and the name adopted was "The Church of the Mediator, Yonkers." In 1857, the society erected its first church, a frame structure costing five thousand dollars, on land presented by James R. Whiting, and a rectory was built soon afterward on adjoining land. Bishop Horatio Potter consecrated the church on November 6, 1864.