east village


Dec 03 2011

All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Manhattan

All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church is a small church located at 11th Street in East Village, Manhattan. It's building was constructed in 1851 for the Welsh Congregational Church. In 1944 the building was sold to the Free Magyar Reformed Church of New York. In 1960 it was converted to an off-Broadway playhouse. In 1971 it resumed use as a church operated by the All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church of NYC.

Dec 03 2011

New Middle Collegiate Church, Manhattan

New Middle Collegiate Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The New Middle Collegiate Church, on Second Avenue in the East Village is located between 6th and 7th Streets. It was built in 1891 and designed by S. B. Reed and was "'thoroughly equipped' as one guide said, 'with reading-rooms, gymnasium, and all appliances for aggressive modern church work'." The church was the successor of the Second Middle Collegiate Church, also known as the Lafayette Place Middle Dutch Church, built 1839 and abandoned by the congregation in 1887. The congregation was founded in 1628, and is the oldest continuous Protestant congregation in North America

Apr 21 2012

Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection, Manhattan

Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection

The Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection and Chapel of St Innocent of Irkutsk, East Village, Manhattan, New York, is one of the main places of Orthodox worship in New York City. The parish originated in 1870 as the Russo-Greek Chapel of Holy Trinity to serve the needs of the Russian and Greek Embassies. In 1895 it was re-organized as the Church of St Nicholas. New church building was built in 1904.

May 20 2011

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan. Image 1
In 1651, Peter Stuyvesant, Governor of New Amsterdam, purchased land for a bowery or farm from the Dutch West India Company and by 1660 built a family chapel at the present day site of St. Marks Church. Stuyvesant died in 1678 and was interred in a vault under the chapel. Stuyvesant's great-grandson, Petrus, would donate the chapel property to Episcopal Church in 1793, stipulating that a new chapel be erected and in 1795 the cornerstone of the present day St. Mark's Church was laid. The church was completed and consecrated in 1799. Alexander Hamilton would then provide legal aid in incorporating St. Mark's Church as the first Episcopal Parish independent of Trinity Church in the new world.

May 28 2011

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St Mary's American Orthodox Greek Catholic Church (Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese) at 121 East 7th Street between First Avenue and Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City was built c.1900, and was altered in 1902 by John P. Voelker. The santuary has served a number of different parishes: the First Hungarian Reformed Church, Ressurection Greek Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church of Saints Peter and Paul.


Jun 17 2012

St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Mary’s parish dates to 1912, the heyday of Carpatho-Russian immigration to the United States. The parish first used a former Welsh Presbyterian church building at 255 East 13th Street. The present building was designed in 1959, by the Rev. Cajetan J.B. Baumann, who was a Franciscan friar in addition to being an architect. He designed a range of religious buildings both in New York and elsewhere. This church building was the first all-glass church in the country, with a design that emulates temples of early Christianity in Greece.

Jun 17 2012

St. Nicholas of Myra Church, Manhattan

St. Nicholas of Myra Church, Manhattan

The St. Nicholas of Myra Church is an American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese (ACROD) church dedicated to Saint Nicholas, located at 288 East 10th Street, on the corner of Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, across from Tompkins Square Park.
The church was built in 1883 as the Memorial Chapel of St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery, designed in Gothic Revival style by James Renwick, Jr. – who also designed Grace Church and St. Patrick's Cathedral – and W. H. Russell. The chapel was a gift of Rutherford Stuyvesant,