christianity


Oct 09 2011

Old St. James Episcopal Church, Queens

Old St. James Episcopal Church, Queens. Photo 1

St. James Church, also known as Church of England in America, Mission Church at Newton, St. James Protestant Episcopal Church, Parish Hall, Community Hall is a historic Episcopal church at 86-02 Broadway in Elmhurst, Queens, New York. It was built in 1735 and is the oldest surviving Anglican building in the City of New York. It is the oldest Church of England mission church in New York City.


Apr 21 2012

Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection, Manhattan

Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection

The Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Protection and Chapel of St Innocent of Irkutsk, East Village, Manhattan, New York, is one of the main places of Orthodox worship in New York City. The parish originated in 1870 as the Russo-Greek Chapel of Holy Trinity to serve the needs of the Russian and Greek Embassies. In 1895 it was re-organized as the Church of St Nicholas. New church building was built in 1904.

Feb 15 2012

Orthodox Church of New Martyrs, Brooklyn

Church of New Martyrs is a Russian Orthodox Christian community, located at 18th Avenue in Brooklyn.

Jul 02 2011

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, The Bronx

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, The Bronx. Image 1: via forgotten-ny.com

Deep into the Bronx lies this serene shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes that one would expect to find somewhere in the European countryside rather than in one of the world's most populous urban areas. Built in 1929, at the request of the pastor of the nearby St. Lucy's Roman Catholic Church, the small stone grotto quickly became the object of pilgrimages from not only New Yorkers, but people from across the United States.


Nov 03 2014

Our Lady of Mercy Roman Catholic Church, Queens

Contact info:
70-01 Kessel Street,
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Dec 14 2014

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Queens

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Queens. Photo 1
The Parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is one of the oldest parishes in Long Island, having been organized in 1841. The Parish grew steadily and by 1869 the original church building was inadequate. Funds were raised to purchase the current site at the corner of Newtown Avenue and Crescent Street and construction began on a new and larger church. The cornerstone was laid September 9, 1871, and the completed church was dedicated by Bishop Loughlin on August 7, 1873.

Jun 12 2011

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Grotto in Rosebank, Staten Island

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Grotto in Rosebank, Staten Island. Image 1

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Grotto is a national historic district located at 36 Amity Street in Rosebank, Staten Island, New York. It is a historic Roman Catholic grotto designed and constructed by the local Italian American community. Work on the distinctive concrete and stone folk art structure was begun in 1937 and continues to the present. The property includes the grotto, a frame meeting hall dated to about 1920, and contributing landscape features and ancillary structures and objects.


Dec 04 2011

Our Lady of Solace Church, The Bronx

Our Lady of Solace Church, The Bronx. Photo 1

The Church of Our Lady of Solace is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 731 Morris Park Avenue at the intersection with Holland Avenue, Bronx, New York City in the Van Nest neighborhood. The parish was established 1903. The present church was dedicated in 1929.

Aug 13 2011

Our Lady of the Holy Rosary's Church, Manhattan

Our Lady of the Holy Rosary's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 7 State Street, between Pearl St. and Water Streets, Financial District, Manhattan, New York City, New York. The parish is home to the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.


Jul 12 2011

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Manhattan

Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (New York City) is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 91 Arden Street, south of Broadway, Inwood, Manhattan. It was established 1927 and built 1928 to designs by Gustave E. Steinback of 157 West 74th Street for the cost of $160,000.