christianity


May 28 2011

Marble Collegiate Church, Manhattan

Marble Collegiate Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Collegiate Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of the City of New York was organized in 1628 under Peter Minuit, Director General of the New Netherland, and has the distinction of being the oldest Protestant denomination with a continuous ministry, and was also the first corporation in the United States. The first church, officially named St. Nicholas but known as the Stone Church, was completed in 1642 on a dusty lane (now Pearl Street) in The Fort of New Amsterdam.


Aug 20 2011

Mission Pentecostal Antioquia in Hoboken, NJ

Contact info:
700 Madison St.,
Hoboken, NJ 07030-6307

Sep 15 2012

Monastery of St. Irene of Chrysovalantou, Queens

Monastery of St. Irene of Chrysovalantou is a greek orthodox christian church and monastery in Astoria, Queens. The present church building was built in 1972. Since 1990, the church has been the site of a proclaimed miracle - a weeping icon of St. Irene. Also the purported hand of St. Irene Chrysovalantou is currently preserved here.

Jun 01 2011

Monastery of St. Michael the Archangel, Union City, NJ

Monastery of St. Michael the Archangel, Union City, NJ. Image 1

The Monastery and Church of Saint Michael the Archangel is a state and national historic place in Union City, New Jersey. Formally opened in 1869 and completed in 1875, the grounds of the complex are bounded West Street and Summit Avenue between 18th and 21st Streets. The small street leading to its front entrance from the east is called Monastery Place. At one time the largest Roman Catholic church in Hudson County, it has since became home to a Presbyterian congregation while part of the grounds are used for housing and education.


Oct 30 2011

Mount Olive Baptist Church in Hoboken, NJ

The Community was founded in 1919 as the First Baptist Church, but later renamed to Mount Olive Baptist Church. The existing building at 721 Washington St, Hoboken, NJ was bought between 1965 and 1975.


Jul 12 2011

Mount Washington Presbyterian Church, Manhattan

Mount Washington Presbyterian Church was established in 1844 by Samuel Thomson (1784-1850), a resident of Inwood, in the northern area of Manhattan. It was named for the site of Fort Washington which is presently located in Bennett Park on Fort Washington Avenue between 183rd and 185th Streets.


Dec 03 2011

New Middle Collegiate Church, Manhattan

New Middle Collegiate Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The New Middle Collegiate Church, on Second Avenue in the East Village is located between 6th and 7th Streets. It was built in 1891 and designed by S. B. Reed and was "'thoroughly equipped' as one guide said, 'with reading-rooms, gymnasium, and all appliances for aggressive modern church work'." The church was the successor of the Second Middle Collegiate Church, also known as the Lafayette Place Middle Dutch Church, built 1839 and abandoned by the congregation in 1887. The congregation was founded in 1628, and is the oldest continuous Protestant congregation in North America

Jun 17 2011

New Utrecht Reformed Church, Brooklyn

New Utrecht Reformed Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

New Utrecht Reformed Church is one of the original churches of the Reformed Church in America and was established in 1677. The first church building was constructed in 1700 at Main Street (now Liberty Pole Boulevard, also 84th Street) just off 16th Avenue, on the site now occupied by the Metropolitan Baptist Church and right next to the New Utrecht Reformed Church Cemetery.


Jun 02 2011

Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, NY

Old Dutch Church in Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, NY. Image 1

The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, also known as Dutch Reformed Church (Sleepy Hollow), is a 17th century church located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, United States. The church and its three acre (12 ha) churchyard feature prominently in Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". The churchyard is often confused with the contiguous but separate Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. It is the oldest extant church and the fifteenth oldest extant building in the state of New York.


Jun 03 2011

Old Quaker Meeting House, Queens

Old Quaker Meeting House, Queens. Image 1

The Old Quaker Meeting House has been used by the Flushing Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends as a house of worship for over 300 years. The house remains today much as when it was first built, with dark, warm floorboards, simple benches and hand-hewn timber ceiling beams. To step across the threshold is to leave the present behind and to enter a profoundly sacred space seasoned by centuries of devotion. To those who visit, the Meeting House is a peaceful reminder of an eventful and historic past.