christianity


Apr 27 2011

Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil, The Bronx

Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil, The Bronx. Image 1

Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil is a United Church of Christ parish church in The Bronx, New York. Its congregation was originally founded in 1869 as the mission chapel affiliated with the Riverdale Presbyterian Church, serving the workers at the nearby Johnson Iron Foundry. The church was designed by architect Francis Kimball and was built from 1888–1889.


Jul 19 2011

Elmhurst Baptist Church, Queens

Elmhurst Baptist Church, Queens. Image 1

The Elmhurst Baptist Church was organized September 19, 1900, at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Avard L. Dunlop, 39 Vietor Place. Reverand Charles J. Keevel, Pastor of the Woodside Baptist Church, assumed leadership of the group, and was the preacher at this time. The first preaching service took place on Sunday afternoon, October 7, 1900 in a small room in the Cord Meyer Block, on Broadway.


Apr 29 2013

Emmanuel Pentecostal Church in Hoboken, NJ

Contact info:
304 Monroe St.,
Hoboken, NJ 07030

May 14 2011

Episcopal Church of the Mediator, The Bronx

Episcopal Church of the Mediator, The Bronx. Image 1

On August 15, 1855, a Protestant Episcopal society was organized in King's Bridge, and the name adopted was "The Church of the Mediator, Yonkers." In 1857, the society erected its first church, a frame structure costing five thousand dollars, on land presented by James R. Whiting, and a rectory was built soon afterward on adjoining land. Bishop Horatio Potter consecrated the church on November 6, 1864.


Aug 20 2011

Evangelical Free Church in Hoboken, NJ

Contact info:
833 Clinton Street,
Hoboken, New Jersey 07030

Sep 12 2012

Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew, Manhattan

Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew, Manhattan. Photo 1

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Matthew is the oldest Lutheran congregation in North America. The congregation belongs to the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. Since 2006, the congregation has been located at the Cornerstone Center, at 178 Bennett Avenue. The congregation has been known by different names, only acquiring the name St. Matthew in 1822 and using it exclusively in 1838. The congregation was founded 1643 by Dutch Lutherans in New Amsterdam but the church was not chartered until December 6, 1664.

Oct 02 2011

Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ

Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ. Photo 1

Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church is a Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America church, located on Montgomery Street in Jersey City, New Jersey.


Jun 20 2011

First Corinthian Baptist Church, Manhattan

First Corinthian Baptist Church, Manhattan. Image 1

First Corinthian Baptist Church, Manhattan. Image 2

One of the most ornate structures in Harlem, this church started its life in 1913 as the Regent Theatre, one of the country's early movie palaces. Its elaborately columned and arched facade loosely resembles the Doges' Palace in Venice. The Regent was sold to the church in 1964.


Aug 21 2011

First Federated Church of Bayonne, NJ

First Federated Church of Bayonne, NJ. Image 1

The First Reformed Dutch Church of Bergen Neck, now known as The First Federated Church of Bayonne is located in Bayonne, New Jersey. Its history goes back to 1638, when the ship, "Arms of Norway", landed on the shores of Manhattan. In 1654, nine Dutch passangers from this ship moved to what was then called New Amsterdam. They were the first white settlers and consequently, the founders of Bayonne, New Jersey. The congregation started in the homes of these people. From there a small log church was built in the area of what is now Jersey City.


Jun 03 2011

First Presbyterian Church of Far Rockaway, Queens

First Presbyterian Church of Far Rockaway, Queens. Image 1

The First Presbyterian Church of Far Rockaway, formerly known as the Russell Sage Memorial Church, is a historic Presbyterian church located in the Far Rockaway neighborhood of Queens, New York. It was designed by noted architect Ralph Adams Cram (1863-1942) as a memorial to Russell Sage (1816-1906). It features a large landscape stained glass window designed by Tiffany Studio.