christianity


Jul 19 2011

The Reformed Church of Newtown, Queens

The Reformed Church of Newtown, Queens. Image 1

The Reformed Church of Newtown was founded in 1731 by Dutch-speaking farmers and tradesmen. New York had originally been "New Amsterdam," a Dutch Colony, and although the early members of Newtown were from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, they held their services in the Dutch language still common in the community then called "Newtown."


Jun 05 2011

Trinity Chapel, Queens

Trinity Chapel, Queens. Image 1

Trinity Chapel, also known as St. John's Church and Beth-El Temple Church of God in Christ, is a historic Episcopal church at 1874 Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway, Queens, New York. It was built in 1858 to the design of noted architect Richard Upjohn (1802-1878). It is a frame Gothic Revival style chapel on a brick foundation and three bays wide by five bays long. It has a steeply pitched roof and sided in wood shingles. Atop the roof is a wooden belfry with steeply pitched pyramidal roof. It was founded as Trinity Chapel as a mission of Trinity Church in Hewlett, New York.


Apr 17 2011

Trinity Church, Manhattan

Trinity Church in Manhattan. Image 1

Trinity Church (also known as Trinity Wall Street) at 79 Broadway, Lower Manhattan, is a historic, active parish church in the Diocese of New York. Trinity Church is at the intersection of Wall Street and Broadway, New York.

In 1696, Governor Benjamin Fletcher approved the purchase of land in Lower Manhattan by the Church of England community for construction of a new church. The parish received its charter from King William III of England on May 6, 1697. Its land grant specified an annual rent of sixty bushels of wheat.


Jun 18 2011

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens. Image 1

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens. Image 2

Trinity Lutheran Church is a historic Lutheran church at 31-18 37th Street in Astoria, Queens, New York. It was designed by John William Cresswell Corbusier and overseen by noted architect George W. Conable (1866-1933). It was built in 1926 and is a one story Collegiate Gothic style building.


Apr 16 2011

Trinity Presbyterian Church in Manhattan

Trinity Presbyterian Church in Manhattan: via http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com

Trinity Presbyterian Church, located in the historic Clinton or Hell's Kitchen section of New York City, started as a Sunday School mission over a stable on Tenth Avenue in 1877. Today the 100-member congregation -- although limited by space, membership size and funds -- carries on a diverse ministry that continues to focus on youth and children along with the homeless, older persons, and the theater/arts community.


Jan 27 2012

Trinity-St. Paul's Episcopal Church in New Rochelle, NY

Trinity-St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Trinity-St. Paul's Episcopal Church in New Rochelle in Westchester County, New York is located at the northwest corner of Huguenot Street and Division Street. This church represents the body of the majority group of New Rochelle's founding Huguenot French Calvinistic congregation that conformed to the liturgy of the established Church of England in June 1709. King George III gave Trinity its first charter in 1762. After the American Revolutionary War, Trinity became a parish of the Protestant Episcopal Church of America.

Jul 20 2011

United Methodist Church in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn

Contact info
3087 Ocean Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11235-3405


Aug 13 2011

University Heights Presbyterian Church, The Bronx

University Heights Presbyterian Church, The Bronx. Image 1

University Heights Presbyterian Church on the Hill of Hall of Fame Terrace has a long and colorful history. On Nov. 26, 1893 Rev. W.L. Waite, Prof. J.J. Stevenson and Dr. Joseph S. Taylor followed the call of Counselor Henry M. MacCracken which was a Clerky man and Educator for a meeting in his house, to discuss the religious needs of the locality.


May 22 2011

Van Nest Assembly of God, The Bronx

Van Nest Assembly of God, The Bronx. Image 1

In 1934 a group of born-again ladies, members of the Italian Christian Church at 167th Street and Intervale Avenue, under the spiritual leadership of Pastor Silvio Margadonna, began holding home prayer meetings, seeking God's guidance for the establishment of a church in the Van Nest area. Their outreach began with door-to-door witnessing. Within a short period of time, a Friday night prayer meeting was established and space was rented at 1722 Adams Street, Bronx, New York.


May 08 2012

Washington Square Methodist Church, Manhattan

Washington Square Methodist Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Washington Square Methodist Episcopal Church was a former Methodist church located at 135 West Fourth Street, Greenwich Village, Manhattan, New York. It was built in 1860, became a United Methodist church and closed in 2004 when its diminished congregation rented space in Trinity Chapel, New York University in 1964. The church could not be demolished as it was located in the Village historic district and was instead converted into residential units.