christianity


Jun 17 2012

St. Nicholas of Myra Church, Manhattan

St. Nicholas of Myra Church, Manhattan

The St. Nicholas of Myra Church is an American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese (ACROD) church dedicated to Saint Nicholas, located at 288 East 10th Street, on the corner of Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, across from Tompkins Square Park.
The church was built in 1883 as the Memorial Chapel of St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery, designed in Gothic Revival style by James Renwick, Jr. – who also designed Grace Church and St. Patrick's Cathedral – and W. H. Russell. The chapel was a gift of Rutherford Stuyvesant,

May 22 2011

St. Nicholas of Tolentine's Church, The Bronx

St. Nicholas of Tolentine's Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. Nicholas of Tolentine is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Fordham Road at University Avenue, Bronx, New York City. The substantial stone twin-towered is deemed "The Cathedral of the Bronx."

The parish was founded by Augustinian Friars on 22 April 1906 with the first mass occurring in a small garage on North Street near Jerome Avenue. Immediately from 1906 on, construction of a permanent church with parochial buildings on Andrew Avenue and Fordham Road commenced.


Jun 05 2011

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, Queens

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, Queens. Image 1

St. Nicholas Orthodox Church was founded in 1916 as a parish of the North American Missionary Archdiocese of the Russian Orthodox Chuch. After the Russian revolution of 1917, the parish became part of the Metropolia, renamed the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) in 1970 after receving autocephaly (independence) from the Moscow Patriarchate.


Apr 16 2011

St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Cathedral, Manhattan

The Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Nicholas, at 15 East 97th Street, was built in 1902 and soon became an American battleground for conflicts between czarist and Soviet Russians. Now, a decade after the fall of communism and the end of the officially atheistic Soviet state, a new bishop, fresh from Moscow, is planning renovations and modernization.


Aug 21 2011

St. Patrick's Church Complex in Jersey City, NJ

St. Patrick's Church Complex in Jersey City, NJ. Image 1

The stately Gothic Victorian-style structure at the corner of Bramhall and Grand Street is St. Patrick's R.C. Church. It is the largest church in Jersey City and the third largest in the Archdiocese of Newark in New Jersey. The church is not only known for its role in the community but also for the theater within its elementary school that was placed on the state and national registers of historic places in 1980.


May 28 2011

St. Patrick's Church in Richmondtown, Staten Island

The Church of St. Patrick is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located in Staten Island, New York City. The parish was established in 1862. The early Romanesque Revival-style building, built c.1860, was declared a New York City Landmark on February 20, 1968.


Mar 18 2012

St. Patrick's Church of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

St Patrick's Church, Brooklyn

St. Patrick's church is a christian Roman Catholic church standing within one of the busiest avenues in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. St. Patrick Mission was founded in 1849, it was also the Parish of the Catholic soldiers assigned to the Fort Hamilton. The first church building was dedicated on December 12th, 1852. The men of the Fort - especially the Irish among them - voluntarily contributed one dollar a week toward their new church. That was a huge sum in those days. This money was set aside and helped in the construction of a church building.


May 09 2011

St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, Manhattan

St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, Manhattan. Image 1

The corner stone of Old St. Patrick's - the city's first Cathedral Church - was laid on June 8,1809. It was dedicated on May 14,1815, and on that day the New York Gazette described the cathedral as "a grand and beautiful church, which may justly be considered one of the greatest ornaments of our city". Designed by architect Joseph Francois Mangin, St. Patrick's has great dignity and character in its restrained simplicity. Her sidewalls rise to a height of 75 feet, and the inner vault is 85 feet high. The church is over 120 feet long and 80 feet wide. Near the west wall stands the huge marble altar surrounded by an ornately carved, gold leaf reredos.


Dec 04 2011

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan

St. Paul's Chapel, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Paul's Chapel, is an Episcopal chapel located at 209 Broadway, between Fulton and Vesey Streets, in lower Manhattan in New York City. It is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan. A chapel of the Parish of Trinity Church, St. Paul's was built on land granted by Queen Anne of Great Britain, and Andrew Gautier served as the master craftsman. Upon completion in 1766, it stood in a field some distance from the growing port city to the south. It was built as a "chapel-of-ease" for parishioners who lived far from the Mother Church.

Jun 04 2011

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brooklyn

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

St. Paul's Church, Carroll Gardens, also known as St. Paul's Episcopal Church, is a parish of the Episcopal Church in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. It is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island and the Episcopal Church in the United States of America, part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The church is located on the corner of Clinton and Carroll Streets in the Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn neighborhood of New York City.