christianity


Jul 02 2011

St. Lucy's Church, The Bronx

St. Lucy's Church, The Bronx. Image 1: via forgotten-ny.com

The Church of St. Lucy is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 833 Mace Avenue, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1927. Lourdes of America on Bronxwood Avenue is a stone grotto on the grounds of St. Lucy's built in 1939 as a replica of the Shrine at Lourdes.


Jun 11 2012

St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Saint Malachy Roman Catholic Church is a parish church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located in Manhattan on West 49th Street, between Broadway and Eighth Avenue. The parish has served the theater community in a special way since 1920, and its parishioners have included a large number of celebrities in the field of acting, such as Bob Hope and Gregory Peck. The parish was founded in 1902 by Archbishop Farley. The current church complex was designed by prolific ecclesiastical architect, Thomas J. Duff, and built the following year.

Aug 13 2011

St. Margaret Mary's Church, The Bronx

The Church of St. Margaret Mary is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1914 Morris Avenue in The Bronx, New York City. It was established in 1923.


Aug 21 2011

St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ

St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church in Jersey City, NJ. Image 1

St. Mark Coptic Orthodox Church is notably the first Coptic Orthodox church in the United States, located at Jersey City, New Jersey. It is one of over 200 Coptic Orthodox Churches in the United States. St. Mark's Church was first founded from the late 60's, although the actual date of incorporation was 1970. The large influx of Copts in New Jersey can be attributed to their persecution in Egypt, in addition to those who emigrate seeking educational and financial opportunities. Currently, there are more than 30,000 Copts in Jersey City alone.


May 20 2011

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan

St. Mark's Church in the Bowery, Manhattan. Image 1
In 1651, Peter Stuyvesant, Governor of New Amsterdam, purchased land for a bowery or farm from the Dutch West India Company and by 1660 built a family chapel at the present day site of St. Marks Church. Stuyvesant died in 1678 and was interred in a vault under the chapel. Stuyvesant's great-grandson, Petrus, would donate the chapel property to Episcopal Church in 1793, stipulating that a new chapel be erected and in 1795 the cornerstone of the present day St. Mark's Church was laid. The church was completed and consecrated in 1799. Alexander Hamilton would then provide legal aid in incorporating St. Mark's Church as the first Episcopal Parish independent of Trinity Church in the new world.

Jul 20 2011

St. Mark's Church, Brooklyn

Contact info
2609 East 19th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11235-3612


Jun 18 2011

St. Markella Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens

St. Markella Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens. Image 1

The Cathedral of St. Markella was established by the ever-memorable Metropolitan Petros of Astoria in 1954, to serve the pious Orthodox Christians in the area who remained loyal to the Patristic "Old" Calendar. Since that time, it has become the Cathedral parish of the Holy Metropolis of the G.O.C. of America, whose current bishop is His Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos.


Apr 21 2012

St. Martin of Tours Church, The Bronx

St. Martin of Tours Church, The Bronx. Photo 1

The Church of St. Martin of Tours is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 664 Grote Street, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1897 at Belmont Avenue and 183rd Street. Before the present Modernist brick and concrete church was built, a large stone-towered Protestant-looking church was in use

Jun 04 2011

St. Mary & St. Antonios Coptic Orthodox Church, Queens

St Mary and St. Antonios Coptic Orthodox Church is located in Ridgewood, Queens and is the oldest Coptic Orthodox parish in Queens. Being one of the oldest Coptic Orthodox churches in North America, started out in March 1972, and is notably the first Coptic Orthodox parish that was founded in New York as well as the third Coptic parish in the US.

May 28 2011

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St Mary's American Orthodox Greek Catholic Church (Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese) at 121 East 7th Street between First Avenue and Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City was built c.1900, and was altered in 1902 by John P. Voelker. The santuary has served a number of different parishes: the First Hungarian Reformed Church, Ressurection Greek Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church of Saints Peter and Paul.