christianity


Apr 22 2011

St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Brooklyn

St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

Saint George, Coptic Orthodox Church of Brooklyn opened its doors for the flock of Christ on December 31, 1972. The service in St. George’s Church began immediately and was not rendered for the Brooklyn congregation alone, but also outreached to families in encompassing areas such as Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Long Island and some areas in New Jersey, and that is due to the lack of churches in those areas at that time.


Jan 27 2012

St. George Russian Orthodox Church in Bayside, NY

St. George Church is a tiny russian orthodox christian church located in Bayside, New York.

May 08 2011

St. George's Church in Flushing, Queens

St. George's Church in Flushing, Queens. Image 1

St. George's Church is an intercultural, multilingual Episcopal congregation in Flushing, New York with members from over twenty different nations of origin. A landmark church, it has served an ever changing congregation for over 300 years.


Aug 21 2011

St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ

St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ. Image 1

St. Henry's Church is a Roman Catholic church on Avenue C between 28th.and 29th. Street in Bayonne, New Jersey. The parish was founded in 1889 by 50 German immigrant families from Bavaria and was named after Emperor Henry II of the Holy Roman Empire. It is one of the first Catholic parishes in Bayonne and is part of the Archdiocese of Newark. The first church building, a wooden structure, was built in 1890 on the northeast corner of Avenue D (now Broadway) and 26th Street.


Oct 09 2011

St. James Episcopal Church in Elmhurst, Queens

St. James Episcopal Church in Elmhurst, Queens. Photo 1

St. James Church is an anglican episcopal church located at Broadway street in Elmhurst, Queens. It was founded in 1704 under a royal charter granted to the Church of England and is one of the oldest churches in New York City. The current campus encompasses two sides of Broadway and includes a modern church, a parish hall, a cloister, and a cemetery.


May 26 2011

St. James Episcopal Church, The Bronx

St. James Episcopal Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. James' Episcopal Church and Parish House is a historic Episcopal church at 2500 Jerome Avenue and 190th Street, in the Fordham section of The Bronx, New York City, New York. It was founded July 5, 1853, becoming the first Episcopal parish in Fordham. The parish at first met at the Manor Reformed Church on Kingsbridge Road, then on June 11, 1854 acquired an old schoolhouse for use. On October 1, 1854, the Rev. Joshua Weaver became its first rector.


May 25 2011

St. Jerome's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx

St. Jerome's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. Jerome is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 230 Alexander Avenue, Mott Haven, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1869 by the Rev. John J. Hughes. The parish of St. Luke's Church (Bronx, New York) was separated from St. Jerome's in 1897.


Jul 03 2011

St. John the Baptist Church and Convent, Manhattan

St. John the Baptist Church and Convent, Manhattan. Image 1: Photo by James Russiello.

The Church of St. John the Baptist is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 211 West 30th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues in the Fur District of the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. To the church's rear is the Capuchin Monastery of St. John the Baptist, located at 210 West 31st Street across from Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden.


Jul 03 2011

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 2

Greek Orthodox Church of St. John the Baptist at 143 East 17th Street in Manhattan, New York City. Built in 1885, designed by Schwartzmann & Buchman, with a baroque facade that was altered in 1957 by Kyriacos A. Kalfas.

Source: "From Abyssinian to Zion" (2004)


May 21 2011

St. John the Theologian Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Tenafly, NJ

St. John the Theologian Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Tenafly, NJ. Image 1: copyright by Unknown

The origin of The Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Saint John the Theologian traces back to 1952, when a group of Greek Orthodox Christians were granted a charter by the Archdiocese, to establish a church in Fairview, NJ. The Ascension Church of Fairview was the only church in Bergen County at the time. According to parish history, Ascension community's membership began to grow rapidly soon after its founding. Members living in northeastern Bergen County considered establishing a new, more conveniently located church in the mid 1950's.