christianity


Jan 02 2012

St. Ann's Episcopal Church, The Bronx

St. Anne's Episcopal Church

St. Ann's Church is a historic Episcopal church in the South Bronx, New York City. It was built in 1840 and donated by Gouverneur Morris Jr. (1813-1888) as a family memorial. It is a fieldstone building in the Gothic Revival style with a vernacular Greek Revival style tower. The complex includes the stone parish house added in 1916, late-19th century Sunday School and gymnasium building, and a graveyard that includes the Morris family crypt. Among those whose remains are in the graveyard or crypt are Gouverneur Morris (1752–1816), Lewis Morris (1671–1746), and Lewis Morris (1726–1798).

Jan 02 2012

St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx

The Shrine Church of St. Ann is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Bainbridge Avenue, just north of Gun Hill Road, in the Bronx, New York City. The church and parish school are located in the same building, a common school-above-church design feature of several New York City parishes. It is a red brick multistory Collegiate Gothic structure with Decorated Gothic and Tudor Gothic design elements with terracotta trim over a raised fieldstone basement and entrance breakfront.

Jun 01 2011

St. Anthony of Padua Church, Jersey City, NJ

St. Anthony of Padua Church, Jersey City, NJ. Image 1

The Polish community in Jersey City dates back to 1870. Like other New Jersey Catholics who preceded them, many Poles ferried into New York City to attend Mass. There, they found pastoral service in their own language at St. Stanislaus Church on Stanton Street. Between 1882 and 1884, the Polish community in North New Jersey organized to establish a Polish parish on their own side of the Hudson River.


May 28 2011

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church was founded in 1938 by the Rev. Edler Garnet Hawkins. During the 1940s and 1950s, the congregation grew to more than a thousand members, which included mostly African-Americans and Puerto Ricans. In 1964, Rev. Hawkins was elected the first African-American moderator of the United Presbyterian Church, and served St. Augustine until his death in 1977. The brick neo-Gothic building was constructed in 1906 for the Woodstock Presbyterian Church; that congregation merged into the Home Street Presbyterian Church in 1938.


Sep 11 2012

St. Augustine's Church, Manhattan

St. Augustine's Church, Manhattan. Photo 1
St. Augustine's Church at 290 Henry Street between Montgomery and Jackson Streets in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1827-29 as the All Saints' Free Church, and was constructed out of Manhattan schist. The design – a Georgian structure with Gothic windows – is credited to John Heath, and includes a double pediment and a projecting tower. The church was enlarged in 1848 with the addition of a sanctuary and a chancel.

May 23 2011

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. Augustine is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1183 Franklin Avenue between East 167th Street and East 168th Street in the Morrisania neighborhood of The Bronx, New York City.

The church was built 1894 to the designs of architect Louis H. Giele with Baroque Revival and Renaissance Revival design elements. It was dedicated in 1895 by the Archbishop of New York. The parochial school nearby was completed in 1904.


May 21 2011

St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan

St. Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Saint Barbara was founded in 1926 by struggling immigrants, this magnificent structure once a synagogue, has provided and continues to provide the greatest comfort of our beloved Martyr Saint Barbara. As the patron Saint of firefighters and the artillery, Saint Barbara was a haven to those who fought during World War II. The Church at that time was a thriving community with newly arriving families from Greece finding religious solace at her door.


Jun 17 2011

St. Barbara's Church, Brooklyn

St. Barbara's Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Roman Catholic parish of St. Barbara was established in 1893 to serve German immigrants, many of whom worked in the breweries in the Bushwick area of Brooklyn. Bishop McDonnell dedicated the first church on Thanksgiving Day, 1893. It is said that the church was named for Barbara Epping, the wife of local brewer Leopold Epping. Over the years, the congregation has evolved to serve Italians and now Latin Americans who have displaced the original German population in the neighborhood.


Jul 19 2011

St. Bartholomew's Church, Queens

St. Bartholomew's Roman Catholic Church was established in 1906. The first services were held in the Union League Clubhouse, and later at the Baptist Church on Whitney Avenue. Through the efforts of the Rev. Jeremiah J. Heafy, rector of the parish since its organization, a church was built in 1911. Located on Fourth Street near Whitney Avenue, the first church had an exterior of light pressed brick with terra cotta and sandstone trimmings.


Jul 19 2011

St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Manhattan

St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church, Manhattan

St. Bartholomew's Church, commonly called St. Bart's, is a historic Episcopal parish founded in January 1835, and located on the east side of Park Avenue between 50th and 51st Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City.

The congregation's first location was opened for service in January 1835, in a plain church at the corner of Great Jones Street and fashionable Lafayette Place.