christianity


May 25 2011

Bright Temple AME Church, The Bronx

Contact info:
812 Faile Street,
Bronx, New York 10474

May 28 2011

Brighton Heights Reformed Church in St. George, Staten Island

Brighton Heights Reformed Church in St. George, Staten Island. Image 1

The congregation known today as the Brighton Heights Reformed Church can trace its roots to 1817, when a series of weekly religious revival services were held in a large hall at the Fever Hospital in Quarantine, a walled-in thirty-acre plot on which immigrants debarked for physical examinations. Many of the immigrants were afflicted with what was called "ship's fever," a condition brought on after a long journey in which they were often crammed into unventilated and unsanitary holds without fresh food or water for periods of up to eight weeks.


Aug 03 2013

Brooklyn Visitation Monastery (Monastery Square)

Visitation Academy 2 - Brooklyn NY

The Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary was founded in 1610 by St. Francis de Sales and St. Jane de Chantal in Annecy, France. The Monastery of Brooklyn was founded in 1855, as fruit of a Novena made by Visitation Sisters in the Baltimore Monastery. It is situated on 7.5 acres in the heart of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
Vocation Retreats are offered at the Monastery for those wishing to discern their vocation.

Apr 29 2013

Calvary Bayonne Fellowship in Hoboken, NJ

Contact info:
PO Box 381.,
Hoboken, NJ 07030

Feb 26 2012

Calvary Church, Manhattan

Calvary Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

Calvary Church is an Episcopal church located at 273 Park Avenue South on the corner of East 21st Street in the Gramercy Park neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, on the border of the Flatiron District. The church complex is located within the Gramercy Park Historic District and Extension.
The Calvary Church parish was founded in 1832, and initially used a wooden-frame church on what was then Fourth Avenue – which has since become Park Avenue – uptown of its current site. That building was moved to the current location in 1842, and the new Gothic Revival sanctuary, designed by James Renwick, was completed in 1848.

Jun 05 2011

Calvary Presbyterian Church in West New Brighton, Staten Island

Calvary Presbyterian Church, Staten Island. Image 1

Calvary Presbyterian Church was organized on November 17, 1872, by thirty-five persons, most of whom had previously been members of the Dutch Reformed Church of Port Richmond. The society occupied a chapel that had been erected at the corner of Castleton and Bement Avenues during the summer of 1872, for use by a Sunday-school that had been organized in May of that year. In September 1874, the plain wooden chapel was doubled in size so that it could accomodate about 500 persons. On the evening of April 17, 1892, arsonists set fires in the area, and the chapel burned to the ground.


Apr 26 2011

Cathedral Basilica of St. James, Brooklyn

Cathedral Basilica of St. James, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Cathedral Basilica of St. James is the cathedral church of the Diocese of Brooklyn. It is located at the corner of Jay Street and Cathedral Place in Downtown Brooklyn. St. James is the oldest Catholic parish on Long Island and is the seat of the Diocese of Brooklyn. Its extensive history has seen the transformation of peaceful pastoral countryside into a bustling metropolis, and the growth of a fledgling parish into one of the largest dioceses in America.


Jul 02 2011

Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Newark, NJ

Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Newark, NJ. Image 1

The Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart, the fifth-largest cathedral in North America, is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. It is located at 89 Ridge Street in Newark, New Jersey. Envisioned as a "fitting monument to the faith," construction began in 1899 and was finished in 1954. The original design called for an English/Irish-gothic church, but plans were later modified in favor of a French-gothic style.


Apr 11 2011

Cathedral of Saint John the Divine

The Cathedral of St. John the Divine, officially the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine in the City and Diocese of New York, is the Cathedral of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. Located at 1047 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10025 (between West 110th Street, which is also known as "Cathedral Parkway", and 113th Street) in Manhattan's Morningside Heights, the cathedral disputes with Liverpool Anglican Cathedral the title of largest Cathedral and Anglican church and fourth largest Christian church in the world.


Apr 17 2011

Central Baptist Church of New York

Central Baptist Church of New York. Image 1

Central Baptist Church recently celebrated its 166th anniversary and remains a vital part of its community. Our roots were originally on Laight Street in Lower Manhattan in 1842. The Laight Street and Bloomingdale Baptist Churches combined to become the Central Baptist Church located in Times Square in 1870. In 1916, after nearly 25 pastors in 4 to 6 different buildings, Central‘s doors opened at its current location on the Upper West Side at 92nd Street and Amsterdam Avenue.