catholic


May 09 2011

St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, Manhattan

St. Patrick's Old Cathedral, Manhattan. Image 1

The corner stone of Old St. Patrick's - the city's first Cathedral Church - was laid on June 8,1809. It was dedicated on May 14,1815, and on that day the New York Gazette described the cathedral as "a grand and beautiful church, which may justly be considered one of the greatest ornaments of our city". Designed by architect Joseph Francois Mangin, St. Patrick's has great dignity and character in its restrained simplicity. Her sidewalls rise to a height of 75 feet, and the inner vault is 85 feet high. The church is over 120 feet long and 80 feet wide. Near the west wall stands the huge marble altar surrounded by an ornately carved, gold leaf reredos.


May 09 2011

St. Peter's Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

St. Peter's Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

Before the establishment of St. Peter's in 1839, the Mass was not regularly celebrated on Staten Island. In fact, Catholics on the island had to travel to either St. Peter's in Manhattan or St. James's in Brooklyn if they wished to partake in the Mass on a regular basis. Bishop Hughes, after considering that the Catholic population on the island had grown to around 100 people, decided that a parish should be established on Staten Island. Father Ildelfonso Medrano, an exiled Spaniard, was assigned by the bishop as St. Peter's first pastor on April 1, 1839.


May 09 2011

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Manhattan. Image 1: via http://www.nycago.org

St Peter's Church is the oldest Roman Catholic parish in New York City and part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York. The church was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1965. The original church's cornerstone was laid in 1785 and the first solemn Mass was celebrated in 1786. This was nearly three years before George Washington—standing less than a mile away on an open-air balcony of Federal Hall (the nation's first capitol)—took the oath of office as the first president of the United States. The cornerstone of the present Greek Revival church, designed by architects Thomas Thomas and John R. Hagarty, was laid in 1836. The exisiting church was completed in 1840.


Aug 13 2011

St. Raymond Church, The Bronx

St. Raymond Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. Raymond's Church is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Castle Hill Avenue at Tremont Avenue, The Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1842. It is dedicated in honor of Saint Raymond of Penyafort, a 12th century Catalan-Spanish saint.


Jun 05 2011

St. Rita's Church in Emerson Hill, Staten Island

St. Rita's Church in Emerson Hill, Staten Island. Image 1: copyright by Unknown

The Church of St. Rita is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located in Staten Island, New York City.


Jun 05 2011

St. Roch's Church in Port Richmond, Staten Island

The Church of St. Roch is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 602 Richmond Avenue, Staten Island, New York City. It was established in 1922.


Feb 17 2013

St. Saviour's Catholic Church, Brooklyn

St. Saviour's; Brooklyn NY

St. Saviour's Church is a Roman Catholic chriatian church located at the corner of 8th avenue and 6th street in Park Clope, Brooklyn. This corner lot was purchased on November 9th, 1905 by father James J. Flood, who had been selected to form a new parish on the Hill section of the Slope. The new parish was to be erected from portions taken from the parishes of Holy Name, St. Thomas Aquinas, and St. Francis Xavier. A month later, the house at 611 Eighth Avenue was purchased for $9,000 as a part of a future permanent rectory.

May 31 2011

St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus Church in New Brighton, Staten Island

St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus Church in New Brighton, Staten Island. Image 1

The Church of St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1634 Victory Boulevard, West New Brighton, Staten Island, New York City. The church was built 1953 to the designs of the prolific architect Robert J. Reiley of Robert J. Reiley & Associates.


Feb 25 2012

St. Therese of Lisieux in Montauk, NY

The catholic parish has been in Montauk since the 1760's. It was known as The Church of the Little Flower and later renamed St. Therese of Lisieux. The previous Tudor-style church was built in 1935 and was closed in 1995 due to the weakeness of it's structure. A new church was built in 2006.

Jun 03 2011

St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Brooklyn

St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

In November 1884, the Rev. James Donahoe was sent to establish the Parish of Saint Thomas of Aquinas in South Brooklyn, the 47th parish in the Brooklyn Diocese. The first Mass was celebrated November 16, 1884 in a building on 9th Street near 5th Avenue.