catholic


Jun 01 2011

St. Ann's Church in Hoboken, NJ

St. Ann's Church in Hoboken, NJ. Image 1

The religious and cultural life of Hoboken has run broad and full from the beginning. As the population grew and persons of varied nationalities came to reside in the area, so also grew the necessity of providing facilities to care for the spiritual needs of the people. Thus, the Most Reverend John J. O’Conner, Bishop of Newark, canonically erected our own beautiful Parish of Saint Ann, Hoboken, New Jersey, in May 1900, to administer to the spiritual needs of the growing Italian-speaking populace.


Jan 02 2012

St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx

The Shrine Church of St. Ann is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Bainbridge Avenue, just north of Gun Hill Road, in the Bronx, New York City. The church and parish school are located in the same building, a common school-above-church design feature of several New York City parishes. It is a red brick multistory Collegiate Gothic structure with Decorated Gothic and Tudor Gothic design elements with terracotta trim over a raised fieldstone basement and entrance breakfront.

Jun 01 2011

St. Anthony of Padua Church, Jersey City, NJ

St. Anthony of Padua Church, Jersey City, NJ. Image 1

The Polish community in Jersey City dates back to 1870. Like other New Jersey Catholics who preceded them, many Poles ferried into New York City to attend Mass. There, they found pastoral service in their own language at St. Stanislaus Church on Stanton Street. Between 1882 and 1884, the Polish community in North New Jersey organized to establish a Polish parish on their own side of the Hudson River.


May 23 2011

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. Augustine is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1183 Franklin Avenue between East 167th Street and East 168th Street in the Morrisania neighborhood of The Bronx, New York City.

The church was built 1894 to the designs of architect Louis H. Giele with Baroque Revival and Renaissance Revival design elements. It was dedicated in 1895 by the Archbishop of New York. The parochial school nearby was completed in 1904.


Jun 17 2011

St. Barbara's Church, Brooklyn

St. Barbara's Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Roman Catholic parish of St. Barbara was established in 1893 to serve German immigrants, many of whom worked in the breweries in the Bushwick area of Brooklyn. Bishop McDonnell dedicated the first church on Thanksgiving Day, 1893. It is said that the church was named for Barbara Epping, the wife of local brewer Leopold Epping. Over the years, the congregation has evolved to serve Italians and now Latin Americans who have displaced the original German population in the neighborhood.


Jul 19 2011

St. Bartholomew's Church, Queens

St. Bartholomew's Roman Catholic Church was established in 1906. The first services were held in the Union League Clubhouse, and later at the Baptist Church on Whitney Avenue. Through the efforts of the Rev. Jeremiah J. Heafy, rector of the parish since its organization, a church was built in 1911. Located on Fourth Street near Whitney Avenue, the first church had an exterior of light pressed brick with terra cotta and sandstone trimmings.


Oct 02 2011

St. Dominic's Church, The Bronx

St. Dominic's Church, The Bronx. Photo 1

The Church of St. Dominic is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1739 Unionport Road, Van Nest, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1927. The Romanesque Revival was built 1925 to the designs of Bronx-native architect Anthony J. DePace of the firm DePace & Juster. In May of 2011, two of the three bells were removed in order to service the wooden supports which were waterlogged and had seepage problems.


Jul 03 2011

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church, Manhattan

St. Elizabeth of Hungary Church, Manhattan. Image 1

The Church of St. Elizabeth of Hungary is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 211 East 83rd Street, between Second and Third Avenues, on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, New York City. St. Elizabeth's was originally founded by Slovakian immigrants on the Lower East Side, with the first Mass celebrated on April 26, 1891 in the basement of St. Bridget's Church on 8th Street and Avenue B.


Jul 12 2011

St. Elizabeth's Church, Manhattan

St. Elizabeth's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Church of St. Elizabeth is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at West 187th Street at Wadsworth Avenue, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1869, originally located on 187th Street at Broadway from 1869 to 1929.

The parish was founded in 1869 what was then known as Fort Washington by the Rev. Cornelius O’Callaghan.


Aug 21 2011

St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ

St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ. Image 1

St. Henry's Church is a Roman Catholic church on Avenue C between 28th.and 29th. Street in Bayonne, New Jersey. The parish was founded in 1889 by 50 German immigrant families from Bavaria and was named after Emperor Henry II of the Holy Roman Empire. It is one of the first Catholic parishes in Bayonne and is part of the Archdiocese of Newark. The first church building, a wooden structure, was built in 1890 on the northeast corner of Avenue D (now Broadway) and 26th Street.