carpatho-russian


May 28 2011

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Mary's American Greek Catholic Church, Manhattan. Image 1

St Mary's American Orthodox Greek Catholic Church (Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese) at 121 East 7th Street between First Avenue and Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City was built c.1900, and was altered in 1902 by John P. Voelker. The santuary has served a number of different parishes: the First Hungarian Reformed Church, Ressurection Greek Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church of Saints Peter and Paul.


Jun 17 2012

St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church, Manhattan

St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Mary’s parish dates to 1912, the heyday of Carpatho-Russian immigration to the United States. The parish first used a former Welsh Presbyterian church building at 255 East 13th Street. The present building was designed in 1959, by the Rev. Cajetan J.B. Baumann, who was a Franciscan friar in addition to being an architect. He designed a range of religious buildings both in New York and elsewhere. This church building was the first all-glass church in the country, with a design that emulates temples of early Christianity in Greece.

Jun 17 2012

St. Nicholas of Myra Church, Manhattan

St. Nicholas of Myra Church, Manhattan

The St. Nicholas of Myra Church is an American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese (ACROD) church dedicated to Saint Nicholas, located at 288 East 10th Street, on the corner of Avenue A in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, across from Tompkins Square Park.
The church was built in 1883 as the Memorial Chapel of St. Mark's Church in-the-Bowery, designed in Gothic Revival style by James Renwick, Jr. – who also designed Grace Church and St. Patrick's Cathedral – and W. H. Russell. The chapel was a gift of Rutherford Stuyvesant,