brooklyn


Apr 21 2011

Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord, Brooklyn

Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration, Brooklyn. Image 1

Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord is a historic Russian Orthodox cathedral at 228 N. 12th Street in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York, New York. It was built between 1916 and 1921 to the designs by Louis Allmendiger. The plan is based on a Greek cross and is designed in the Russian version of the Byzantine style.


Feb 18 2012

South Bushwick Reformed Protestant Dutch Church, Brooklyn

South Bushwick Reformed Protestant Dutch Church, Brooklyn. Photo 1

South Bushwick Reformed Protestant Dutch Church Complex, also known as the "White Church", is a historic Dutch Reformed church in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York, New York. The complex consists of the church and attached Sunday School building. The church was organized in 1851 by members of the Bushwick Reformed Church that dates back to 1654. Himrod St. was named after South Bushwick's first pastor. The church is a two story frame, clapboard sided building finished in 1853. Its design combines Greek Revival and Gibbsian classical styles.

Mar 18 2012

St. Andrew the Apostle Church, Brooklyn

St. Andrew the Apostle Church is a christian Roman Catholic church in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. The Parish was formed in 1971 from Our Lady of Angels Parish. For the first 10 years daily services were held at two Victorian houses at the corner of Ridge Boulevard and Senator Street, weekend Masses were held at Salem Lutheran Church on 67th Street between Fourth and Fifth Avenues. In 1981 the corner house was rebuilt into a permanent church building.

Jun 17 2011

St. Barbara's Church, Brooklyn

St. Barbara's Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Roman Catholic parish of St. Barbara was established in 1893 to serve German immigrants, many of whom worked in the breweries in the Bushwick area of Brooklyn. Bishop McDonnell dedicated the first church on Thanksgiving Day, 1893. It is said that the church was named for Barbara Epping, the wife of local brewer Leopold Epping. Over the years, the congregation has evolved to serve Italians and now Latin Americans who have displaced the original German population in the neighborhood.


Apr 21 2012

St. Cyril's of Turau Orhtodox Cathedral, Brooklyn

St. Cyril&s of Turau Orhtodox Cathedral, Brooklyn. Photo 1
St Cyril's of Turau Orhtodox Cathedral is a christian orthodox church of Belarussian Orthodox Church, located on Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn. The church building is a former protestant church. This empty church was purchased by orthodox community of belarusian immigrants after the WWII. The first divine service was held on November 25 1957.

Apr 22 2011

St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Brooklyn

St. George Coptic Orthodox Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

Saint George, Coptic Orthodox Church of Brooklyn opened its doors for the flock of Christ on December 31, 1972. The service in St. George’s Church began immediately and was not rendered for the Brooklyn congregation alone, but also outreached to families in encompassing areas such as Staten Island, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Long Island and some areas in New Jersey, and that is due to the lack of churches in those areas at that time.


Jul 20 2011

St. Mark's Church, Brooklyn

Contact info
2609 East 19th Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11235-3612


Jun 04 2011

St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral, Brooklyn

St. Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral, Brooklyn. Image 1

In the mid 1890s, Arabic-speaking Orthodox Christians from various Middle Eastern countries living in Metropolitan New York formed the Charitable Syrian Orthodox Association. At that time the established Orthodox Church in North America was shepherded by clergy from the Church of Russia. A loft at 77 Washington Street in Manhattan was converted into the first church for the Arabic-speaking Orthodox.


Mar 18 2012

St. Patrick's Church of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn

St Patrick's Church, Brooklyn

St. Patrick's church is a christian Roman Catholic church standing within one of the busiest avenues in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. St. Patrick Mission was founded in 1849, it was also the Parish of the Catholic soldiers assigned to the Fort Hamilton. The first church building was dedicated on December 12th, 1852. The men of the Fort - especially the Irish among them - voluntarily contributed one dollar a week toward their new church. That was a huge sum in those days. This money was set aside and helped in the construction of a church building.


Jun 04 2011

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brooklyn

St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

St. Paul's Church, Carroll Gardens, also known as St. Paul's Episcopal Church, is a parish of the Episcopal Church in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. It is part of the Episcopal Diocese of Long Island and the Episcopal Church in the United States of America, part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The church is located on the corner of Clinton and Carroll Streets in the Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn neighborhood of New York City.