brooklyn


Feb 18 2012

Andrews United Methodist Church, Brooklyn

Andrews United Methodist Church is a historic Methodist church at 95 Richmond Street in Cypress Hills, Brooklyn, New York, New York. It was built in 1893 and is a one story, asymmetrical orange brick church in the Queen Anne style. It features a massive rose window on the front facade and a three story, square bell tower. The interior is arranged on the Akron Plan. Attached to the church is a two story Sunday school wing.

Feb 18 2012

Antioch Baptist Church, Brooklyn

Antioch Baptist Church, Brooklyn. Photo 1

The Antioch Baptist Church, originally Greene Avenue Baptist Church, is a baptist church located at Greene Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. The congregation was found in 1918. In the beginning the congregation rented the church at Fleet Street for a short period of time, later the Concord Baptist Church at 163 and 165 Duffield Street was purchased. The congregation membership increased to 6,000 in 1931. In 1950 the Greene Avenue Baptist Church was purchased.

Apr 24 2011

Baptist Temple, Brooklyn

Baptist Temple in Brooklyn. Image 1: via http://www.nycago.org

Baptist Temple is a historic Baptist church at 360 Schermerhorn Street in Brooklyn, New York, New York. It was built in 1893-1894 in the Romanesque Revival style and rebuilt after a fire in 1917-1918. It has a brownstone base and superstructure faced with subtly textured brick with brownstone trim. The building features a large rose window and three corner towers.


May 14 2011

Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Brooklyn

Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is an architectural landmark in the New York City borough of Brooklyn. It is located on 5th Avenue between 59th and 60th streets in the Sunset Park neighborhood and occupies about half the square block extending back to 6th Avenue, with the rectory and ancillary buildings occupying the remainder. The Basilica is visible for some distance, particularly from the Gowanus Expressway. It is popularly referred to by its initials, OLPH.


Apr 04 2011

Brooklyn

Brooklyn is the most populous of New York City's five boroughs, with nearly 2.6 million residents, and the second-largest in area. Since 1896, Brooklyn has had the same boundaries as Kings County, which is now the most populous county in New York State and the second-most densely populated county in the United States, after New York County (Manhattan). It is also the westernmost county on Long Island.


Aug 03 2013

Brooklyn Visitation Monastery (Monastery Square)

Visitation Academy 2 - Brooklyn NY

The Order of the Visitation of Holy Mary was founded in 1610 by St. Francis de Sales and St. Jane de Chantal in Annecy, France. The Monastery of Brooklyn was founded in 1855, as fruit of a Novena made by Visitation Sisters in the Baltimore Monastery. It is situated on 7.5 acres in the heart of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.
Vocation Retreats are offered at the Monastery for those wishing to discern their vocation.

Apr 26 2011

Cathedral Basilica of St. James, Brooklyn

Cathedral Basilica of St. James, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Cathedral Basilica of St. James is the cathedral church of the Diocese of Brooklyn. It is located at the corner of Jay Street and Cathedral Place in Downtown Brooklyn. St. James is the oldest Catholic parish on Long Island and is the seat of the Diocese of Brooklyn. Its extensive history has seen the transformation of peaceful pastoral countryside into a bustling metropolis, and the growth of a fledgling parish into one of the largest dioceses in America.


Feb 18 2012

Christ Evangelical English Lutheran Church, Brooklyn

Christ Evangelical English Lutheran Church, Brooklyn. Photo 1

Christ Evangelical English Lutheran Church, also known as Rugged Cross Baptist Church, is a historic Evangelical Lutheran church at 1084 Lafayette Avenue, 11221, in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York, New York. It was built in 1898-1899 in the Romanesque Revival style. It is faced in cream colored brick with beige brick and terra cotta trim. The front facade is arranged with a two story tall central gable flanked by asymmetrical towers. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.

Jun 04 2011

Church of St. Francis of Assisi and St. Blaise, Brooklyn

The Church of Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Blaise is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn. The parish of Saint Francis of Assisi was established in 1898. The current church building in Italian Renaissance style was built in 1913 by architect William J. Ryan.

The parish of Saint Francis of Assisi merged with that of Saint Blaise, which had been established in 1905.

Jun 12 2011

Church of the Holy Innocents, Brooklyn

Church of the Holy Innocents, Brooklyn. Image 1

The Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Innocents was founded in 1909 to serve the Flatbush area of Brooklyn. A first church building was erected on East 17th Street at Beverly Road, and the site would eventually include a rectory and school.

In 1922, plans were approved for the construction of a much larger church and rectory to be located on the same site. The 1,100-seat church was designed in the Late Gothic Revival style by Helme & Corbett, who were also the architects of St. Gregory's Church in Brooklyn.