bronx


Aug 26 2011

Lisanti Family Chapel, The Bronx

In 1905 Francesco Lisanti, an Italian baker in the Bronx, built a private family chapel, which today reveals much about the challenges turn-of-the-century Italian immigrants faced and the creative solutions they devised to meet their spiritual needs. This place of worship served the Lisanti family as well as community members until the 1970s.


May 16 2011

Masjid Noor-Ul-Huda Islamic Center, The Bronx

Contact info:
3033 Young Avenue,
Bronx, NY 10469

Jul 02 2011

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, The Bronx

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto, The Bronx. Image 1: via forgotten-ny.com

Deep into the Bronx lies this serene shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes that one would expect to find somewhere in the European countryside rather than in one of the world's most populous urban areas. Built in 1929, at the request of the pastor of the nearby St. Lucy's Roman Catholic Church, the small stone grotto quickly became the object of pilgrimages from not only New Yorkers, but people from across the United States.


Dec 04 2011

Our Lady of Solace Church, The Bronx

Our Lady of Solace Church, The Bronx. Photo 1

The Church of Our Lady of Solace is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 731 Morris Park Avenue at the intersection with Holland Avenue, Bronx, New York City in the Van Nest neighborhood. The parish was established 1903. The present church was dedicated in 1929.

May 26 2011

Riverdale Presbyterian Church Complex, The Bronx

Riverdale Presbyterian Church Complex, The Bronx. Image 1

Riverdale Presbyterian Church Complex, also known as Duff House & Duff Cottage (Gardener's Cottage), is a historic Presbyterian church at 4761-4765 Henry Hudson Parkway in The Bronx, New York, New York. It was designed in 1863 by noted architect James Renwick, Jr. (1818-1895). It is a fieldstone building in the Late Gothic Revival style. It was substantially enlarged in 1936. The complex also includes the Duff House, also designed by Renwick, and a Stick Style cottage built in 1875 known as Duff Cottage. The church established the Edgehill Church at Spuyten Duyvil in 1869.


Jan 02 2012

St. Ann's Episcopal Church, The Bronx

St. Anne's Episcopal Church

St. Ann's Church is a historic Episcopal church in the South Bronx, New York City. It was built in 1840 and donated by Gouverneur Morris Jr. (1813-1888) as a family memorial. It is a fieldstone building in the Gothic Revival style with a vernacular Greek Revival style tower. The complex includes the stone parish house added in 1916, late-19th century Sunday School and gymnasium building, and a graveyard that includes the Morris family crypt. Among those whose remains are in the graveyard or crypt are Gouverneur Morris (1752–1816), Lewis Morris (1671–1746), and Lewis Morris (1726–1798).

Jan 02 2012

St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church, The Bronx

The Shrine Church of St. Ann is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Bainbridge Avenue, just north of Gun Hill Road, in the Bronx, New York City. The church and parish school are located in the same building, a common school-above-church design feature of several New York City parishes. It is a red brick multistory Collegiate Gothic structure with Decorated Gothic and Tudor Gothic design elements with terracotta trim over a raised fieldstone basement and entrance breakfront.

May 28 2011

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. Augustine Presbyterian Church was founded in 1938 by the Rev. Edler Garnet Hawkins. During the 1940s and 1950s, the congregation grew to more than a thousand members, which included mostly African-Americans and Puerto Ricans. In 1964, Rev. Hawkins was elected the first African-American moderator of the United Presbyterian Church, and served St. Augustine until his death in 1977. The brick neo-Gothic building was constructed in 1906 for the Woodstock Presbyterian Church; that congregation merged into the Home Street Presbyterian Church in 1938.


May 23 2011

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx

St. Augustine's Church, The Bronx. Image 1

The Church of St. Augustine is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1183 Franklin Avenue between East 167th Street and East 168th Street in the Morrisania neighborhood of The Bronx, New York City.

The church was built 1894 to the designs of architect Louis H. Giele with Baroque Revival and Renaissance Revival design elements. It was dedicated in 1895 by the Archbishop of New York. The parochial school nearby was completed in 1904.


Oct 02 2011

St. Dominic's Church, The Bronx

St. Dominic's Church, The Bronx. Photo 1

The Church of St. Dominic is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 1739 Unionport Road, Van Nest, Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1927. The Romanesque Revival was built 1925 to the designs of Bronx-native architect Anthony J. DePace of the firm DePace & Juster. In May of 2011, two of the three bells were removed in order to service the wooden supports which were waterlogged and had seepage problems.