bayonne


Aug 21 2011

First Federated Church of Bayonne, NJ

First Federated Church of Bayonne, NJ. Image 1

The First Reformed Dutch Church of Bergen Neck, now known as The First Federated Church of Bayonne is located in Bayonne, New Jersey. Its history goes back to 1638, when the ship, "Arms of Norway", landed on the shores of Manhattan. In 1654, nine Dutch passangers from this ship moved to what was then called New Amsterdam. They were the first white settlers and consequently, the founders of Bayonne, New Jersey. The congregation started in the homes of these people. From there a small log church was built in the area of what is now Jersey City.


Aug 21 2011

St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ

St. Henry's Church in Bayonne, NJ. Image 1

St. Henry's Church is a Roman Catholic church on Avenue C between 28th.and 29th. Street in Bayonne, New Jersey. The parish was founded in 1889 by 50 German immigrant families from Bavaria and was named after Emperor Henry II of the Holy Roman Empire. It is one of the first Catholic parishes in Bayonne and is part of the Archdiocese of Newark. The first church building, a wooden structure, was built in 1890 on the northeast corner of Avenue D (now Broadway) and 26th Street.