astoria


Jun 18 2011

Al-Iman Mosque, Queens

Al-Iman mosque is located on 24-30 Steinway Street, Astoria, NY. Al-Iman translates into ‘The Faith” in Arabic. This mosque is Astoria’s largest Muslim House of worship. On Fridays on Steinway Street, several hundred men from North Africa and Middle-Eastern countries leave their work and make way to the jammed mosque to pray.

Jul 01 2012

Immaculate Conception Church, Queens

immaculate conception church, astoria

Immaculate Conception Church is Roman Catholic christian church located at 29th strit in Astoria, Queens. The first congregation mass took place on January 27, 1924 at 2819 Ditmars Avenue, the home of Dr. John J. Dempsey. An increase of worshipers number resulted the hiring of “Offenbacher’s Hall” on Second Avenue to accommodate these rapidly expanding needs and it was here that Immaculate Conception’s first organizational meeting was held on the night of February 6, 1924. The construction of present church building was finished on Christmas 1924.

Sep 15 2012

Monastery of St. Irene of Chrysovalantou, Queens

Monastery of St. Irene of Chrysovalantou is a greek orthodox christian church and monastery in Astoria, Queens. The present church building was built in 1972. Since 1990, the church has been the site of a proclaimed miracle - a weeping icon of St. Irene. Also the purported hand of St. Irene Chrysovalantou is currently preserved here.

Dec 14 2014

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Queens

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Queens. Photo 1
The Parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is one of the oldest parishes in Long Island, having been organized in 1841. The Parish grew steadily and by 1869 the original church building was inadequate. Funds were raised to purchase the current site at the corner of Newtown Avenue and Crescent Street and construction began on a new and larger church. The cornerstone was laid September 9, 1871, and the completed church was dedicated by Bishop Loughlin on August 7, 1873.

Jun 18 2011

St. Catherine & St. George Greek Orthodox Church, Queens

St. Catherine & St. George Greek Orthodox Church, Queens. Image 1

St. Catherine & St. George Church is a greek orthodox church, located at 22-30 33rd Street in Astoria, Queens. This largest greek orthodox church in the area is the completely modern building with a huge domed roof.


May 29 2011

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens

St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens. Image 1

St. Demetrios Cathedral is located on the intersection of 31st street and 30th Drive in Astoria Queens. Erected in 1927, the church serves the Hellenic-American population of the neighborhood. The church is actually one of Astoria's two largest Greek Orthodox churches, the other being St. Irene of Chrysovalantou (located on 23rd Avenue).


Jun 18 2011

St. Markella Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens

St. Markella Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Queens. Image 1

The Cathedral of St. Markella was established by the ever-memorable Metropolitan Petros of Astoria in 1954, to serve the pious Orthodox Christians in the area who remained loyal to the Patristic "Old" Calendar. Since that time, it has become the Cathedral parish of the Holy Metropolis of the G.O.C. of America, whose current bishop is His Eminence Metropolitan Pavlos.


Sep 03 2011

The Most Precious Blood Church, Queens

The Most Precious Blood Church, Queens. Image 1

The parish was formed in 1922. Masses are offered in Brazilian Portuguese, Croatian, Italian, Spanish and Tagalog to compliment the six English Masses, thus reflecting the diverse ethnic makeup of Astoria. They also sponsor a Purgatorial Society and hold First Friday devotions as well as regular adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. There is a parish school for children in grades kindergarten through eight.


Jun 18 2011

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens. Image 1

Trinity Lutheran Church in Astoria, Queens. Image 2

Trinity Lutheran Church is a historic Lutheran church at 31-18 37th Street in Astoria, Queens, New York. It was designed by John William Cresswell Corbusier and overseen by noted architect George W. Conable (1866-1933). It was built in 1926 and is a one story Collegiate Gothic style building.