University Heights Presbyterian Church, The Bronx

University Heights Presbyterian Church, The Bronx. Image 1

University Heights Presbyterian Church on the Hill of Hall of Fame Terrace has a long and colorful history. On Nov. 26, 1893 Rev. W.L. Waite, Prof. J.J. Stevenson and Dr. Joseph S. Taylor followed the call of Counselor Henry M. MacCracken which was a Clerky man and Educator for a meeting in his house, to discuss the religious needs of the locality.

On Dec. 7, 1893 a Sunday School was organzied and by end of 1894 interest had grown so much that preaching servies were being held. On Dec. 4, 1899 the Congregation voted for a Presbyterian connection, and the organization of the Church occurred on April 15, 1900.

Henry M. MacCracken who also created the plan of the Hall of Fame for Great Ammericans (the hall, was soon established as an educational agency and a shrine for patriotic remembrance) acted as minster for the following four years. The first Service in Sanctuary took place on Christmas Sunday Dec. 25, 1907.

based on a Church website
Contact info:
2167 University Avenue,
Bronx, NY 10453-1397
See also: