St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Brooklyn


St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Brooklyn. Image 1

In November 1884, the Rev. James Donahoe was sent to establish the Parish of Saint Thomas of Aquinas in South Brooklyn, the 47th parish in the Brooklyn Diocese. The first Mass was celebrated November 16, 1884 in a building on 9th Street near 5th Avenue.

St. Thomas Aquinas Church, Brooklyn. Image 2: via http://brooklyncatholic.blogspot.com

This building, known as the "Wigwam," had been erected by the Twenty-second Ward Democratic Association for their meetings during the National Election of 1884. On Sunday, June 28, 1885, the cornerstone of the present building was blessed by Bishop Loughlin in a ceremony witnessed by over 6,000 people. The church was built within one year at a cost of $90,000. The first Mass in the new church was celebrated on Passion Sunday, April 4th, 1886. A chapel was added in 1887 on the 8th Street side of the church to house the baptistry, sacristy and altar boys' rooms.

On April 25, 2006 the Diocese of Brooklyn approved the reconfiguration and merging of Holy Family parish and Saint Thomas Aquinas parish.

based on Page at NYC AGO
Contact info:
249 North 9th Street,
Brooklyn, New York, NY 11215