St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan



St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

The community was officially incorporated by the State of New York on June 25, 1931 under the name "Washington Heights Hellenic Orthodox Church, Inc.,". The faitfhul congregated at first in a small hall above a theater located on St., Nicholas Avenue at 185th Street. Later, they met in a room above a garage on 183rd Street east of Broadway. Holy Rood Episcopalian Church on 179th Street and Ft. Washington Avenue, made available an auditorium for use of our parish.

The first permanent location for the community was originally constructed in 1928 as a Baptist Church, it was subsequently sold and used as a Masonic Temple. In 1947 a catastrophic fire destroyed the existing church, but within a few months it as renovated. Shortly thereafter, two buildings, 653 and 655 West 179th Street were purchased.

In 1949, the plan for a new church complex was submitted, based on the traditional look of byzantine churches around the world. The cornerstone was laid in 1951. During the construction, the parish used the Ft. George Presbyterian Church for it's services. The new church building was officially opened on September 7, 1952.

based on the citation from the Church website
Contact info:
124 Wadsworth Avenue,
New York, NY 10033
See also: