St. Raymond Church, The Bronx



St. Raymond Church, The Bronx. Image 1

St. Raymond's Church is a Roman Catholic parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at Castle Hill Avenue at Tremont Avenue, The Bronx, New York City. The parish was established in 1842. It is dedicated in honor of Saint Raymond of Penyafort, a 12th century Catalan-Spanish saint.

The Parish of St. Raymond was founded by Bishop John Hughes in 1842, and was the first Roman Catholic church in the Bronx. In the early years, the parish worshiped in an old wooden barn that had been converted for use as a temporary church. In 1845, a simple but solid church with a wooden tower was built on what is now Tremont Avenue. A cemetery was established on the church grounds.

St. Raymond Church, The Bronx. Image 2

On October 10, 1897, the cornerstone was laid for the present church, which was to be built just behind the original church. George H. Streeton designed the Byzantine Revival-style church that features twin towers and a dome. To complete the church, skilled craftsmen were brought in from Italy and housed nearby until the work was completed. The new church was dedicated on October 23, 1898. Over time, the church complex grew to include an elementary school, rectory, brothers' residence, convent, boys' high school, and an auditorium and gymnasium.


First paragraph of this text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License

based on the Wikipedia page and NYC AGO page
Contact info:
1759 Castle Hill Avenue at East Tremont Avenue
Bronx, N.Y. 10462