St. Monica's Church, Manhattan



St. Monica's Church, Manhattan. Image 1

Church of St. Monica is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 413 East 79th Street, Manhattan, New York City. The parish was established in 1879. The fourth Catholic parish on the Upper East Side, St. Monica's was founded by Fr. John Treanor, pastor of the Church of St. Lawrence O'Toole (now the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola).

St. Monica's Church, Manhattan. Image 2

Fr. James J. Dougherty was appointed the first pastor, and in 1880 he began conducting Mass over a feed store at 404 East 78th Street. The following year, he purchased land for the construction of the church and school. Construction of the first church building was completed in 1883. In 1892, the address was listed as 409 E 79th Street.

The current Gothic Revival church building was erected in 1906 to the designs of the esteemed Roman Catholic church-building architectural firm of Schickel & Ditmars.


This text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License

based on Wikipedia page
Contact info:
413 East 79th Street
New York, N.Y. 10021
See also: