St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church, Manhattan



St. Mary’s Byzantine Catholic Church, Manhattan. Photo 1

St. Mary’s parish dates to 1912, the heyday of Carpatho-Russian immigration to the United States. The parish first used a former Welsh Presbyterian church building at 255 East 13th Street. The present building was designed in 1959, by the Rev. Cajetan J.B. Baumann, who was a Franciscan friar in addition to being an architect. He designed a range of religious buildings both in New York and elsewhere. This church building was the first all-glass church in the country, with a design that emulates temples of early Christianity in Greece.
based on citation from the article about the church
Contact info:
246 E 15th St # 1,
New York, NY